Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

oil leak from engine connecting transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Default oil leak from engine connecting transmission

my 2005 pt cruise turbo convertible leaks motor oil only!! no trans oil at all!! where the motor and transmission connect so my mechanic replaced a metal circle that goes inbetween the motor and the transmission that connects em or is like a base..the original one was cracked (long story i had engine rebuilt and he installed it he said they broke it but mistakes happ i dont care who did)

He bought a new one and replaced it and its still leaking like before he took it out ..on another note the car was not leaking any motor oil before i had engine rebuilt at all!.

.it only leaks when the car has been running but only when engine is shut down..( after a 5 days without running the car it leaks per drop not as much)..it leaks more when the car is turned off from being driven around..

i checked it out with a little mirror and the oil stays rested in the gap of the circle where the gear head of trans is of the trans.. but its not trans oil its motor oil.

my mechanic i paid him $300 to just replace that metal circle..what can it be?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:47 PM

That's the rear main bearing seal. In order to replace it, the transmission must be pulled out. That's a big job requiring a lot of labor.

Oil under pressure when the engine is running will leak out and collect in the space between the engine and transmission. You won't notice anything while you're driving the car because it just falls out and lands on the street. When you park it will continue to leak out onto your driveway until the oil in that space is gone. When you start the engine, the leak will come back.

This is not going to fix itself. Until you get it fixed properly, you're going to need to keep an eye on the oil level in the engine and make sure it doesn't get too low. If it gets down a quart, add the proper oil back in to bring it up to full.

Since you paid the mechanic to fix the oil leak, he should fix the leak. If he won't do it, your choice is to take it somewhere else and either eat the cost yourself or sue the first guy in small claims court and try to get your money back that way.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM

I know it's an old thread but how did you get on fixing this? I'm currently having the same problem with mine!