Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Default Pcm

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
Unplug your PCM I bet your 140 ma will go away if so thats your issue. Everything else on teh asd relays side is after the relay the relay was removed so that whole half of the circuit is taken out of play. Now if by chance the pcm unplug does not take out the 140 ma draw that means there is a wire touching on the rd wt wire from PC to PDC or the PDC setself is drawing power .
Thanks, if I understand you correctly, if the draw stops after unplugging the PCM I need to buy a new PCM or can it be repaired, since I guess it's not a cheap thing.?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Default PC

"wire touching on the rd wt wire from PC to PDC"

What does the PC stand for in this context?

Old 12-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

PCM sorry late night finger fart.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Default Ignition coils

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
With the ASD fuse in place, try disconnecting the ignition coils one by one to see if that has any effect on the current draw.

And that fuse is marked "Lighting", Not "Lightning". Is there something on in the lighting circuit? At that level of current draw it would be a LED, not a filament bulb, I think.
I only have one ignition coil on my 2003 but after disconnecting it there was no difference on the draw, any more ideas?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 AM
Default Pcm

Unplug your PCM I bet your 140 ma will go away if so thats your issue. Everything else on teh asd relays side is after the relay the relay was removed so that whole half of the circuit is taken out of play. Now if by chance the pcm unplug does not take out the 140 ma draw that means there is a wire touching on the rd wt wire from PC to PDC or the PDC setself is drawing power .

Thanks for all tips but, I unplugged all 3 connections to the PCM and actually removed it to make sure no hidden cables but the draw stayed at 140ma. Where should I be looking for the rd wt wire and where is it likely to touch what? How do I easiest find the powerdraw in the PDC itself? If I can't find the draw, what do you think about splitting the cable after the FP/ASD fuse and put a switch in the car to shut of manually?

Old 12-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

the wire goes form the PCM to the fuse box so here is the fun part tracking down where on the wire or inside the fuse box is the issue. Unforuntally there are no connectors that allows the fuse box just to come apart at connectors like teh news ones so its fun trying t get a point where you can separate the system and see what half the wire issue is on.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Default fusebox?

the wire goes form the PCM to the fuse box so here is the fun part tracking down where on the wire or inside the fuse box is the issue. Unforuntally there are no connectors that allows the fuse box just to come apart at connectors like teh news ones so its fun trying t get a point where you can separate the system and see what half the wire issue is on.

If I understand you correctly the red/white cable goes from the PCM to the fusebox in the coupe on the drivers side, not to the fuses in the PDC?
Is this a common problem, I mean there's a lot of cables tied together so they shouldn't really touch and there shouldn't be any movement between the cables to break the insulation or have you had this situation before and if so where, were the cables touching? Any specific reason that It would be the red/white cable from the PCM, just thinking there must be plenty of cables with 12V in that bunch of cables?

Old 12-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

yes it goes to tehe fuse through the pdc block. No not a common thing this would be the first i have run across it.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Default red/white cable

yes it goes to tehe fuse through the pdc block.
the wire goes form the PCM to the fuse box.....
Thanks again, and the conclusion that it's the red/white cable is because we already ruled out the fuelpump, ASD, and PCM so it's the only thing left on the FP/ASD fuse?

Sorry for asking but does the red/white cable go from the PDC to the PCM and then to the fusebox, just want to make sure before i start splitting the cables and based on the quotes above i'm not 100% sure.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Default red/white

PS, Is the red/white cable to the fusebox in the coupe the main powersupply to the fusebox?

Quick Reply: PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery