Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

**HELP** with front end noise

Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Default **HELP** with front end noise

I have a 2004 sebring and here in the last to weeks a very random popping noise has started. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front end,I can feel it very little in the steering wheel. Any ideas what this might be and how easy it would be to get repaired.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Default RE: **HELP** with front end noise

I am having this exact same issue with my 2004 Convertible Sebring!! It is a loud popping/knocking noise and it feels like it is coming through the steering column because I can feel the pulsation through the steering wheel. I have taken my car back to the dealership 5 times now and they can't seem to figure out what the problem is, although they continue to charge me for unneeded repairs. I was told that I would either have to wait until the problem gets worse or keep bring it back and paying for them to repair it until the noise finally stops. I have also emailed Chrysler and they were of absolutely no assistance. They keep telling me to keep in touch with the dealer. Please let me know what you are able to find out.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM

At least i'm not alone on this. I have also took it to the dealership with no results. So i took it to a friend of mine that is a independent. I had it for less than 2 hours and noise is gone. He told me that i should think about replacing the struts on it, he stated that he lifted it on his hoist (not one you drive on but the old school. let it sit for a few and stated that by letting it kind of "hang out" it may have aligned the struts back up or reseated them. That is all he did, and ever since the noise is gone, so got me.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:02 PM

You saw the other posting on this forum that is related to this? I quickly discussed my problem as part of the thread, but it sound just like yours. I found another chat site that included the TSB 2301203, which can be viewed at "http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16336.html". I'm going to take a copy of the description to my dealer which might help get to the heart of the problem. The TSB mentions the installation of two rivets; I'll be interested to see if the dealer agrees.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Well, there are many of us with this problem. drutkay, please let us know what your dealer says about that TSB, and if it works. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:04 PM

I have posted more on the "front noise/rattling" thread. In short, the TSB didn't fix the problem. I plan to take the car back and discuss further with my dealer.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:27 PM

I have a 2003 GTC that does the same thing. It has made the noise ever since I got it. The noise is noticable, but not as loud as yours seems to be. I'll try to notice exactly when it happens and post again later.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 AM

Ross: Have you taken the vehicle in to be checked? Is there any TSB that might related to your vehicle and this problem?

Old 05-12-2007, 04:58 AM

Hello Guys,
firts of all, I'm new in this forum and writing from Germany, so please apollogize my BBE (Broken Business English)

It seems, this problem is typical for Chrysler (Sebring, Stratus & Co.). We have in Germany by more or less all vehicles the same issue, but the reasons seems different:
[ol][*]Brakes. By my car my dealer told me, that (some?) brake-pads are not right manufactured, so it could be, that "braking-dust" and other dirt the pads will be "blocked" in the brake-saddle. I.e. you're driving straight and turn left or right in a side street by simultanious braking, the pads would make these noises. Solution: de-install the brake-pads, cleaning of brakes from dust and others and re-install the pads. Solves but only for roundabout 3.000 km.[*]Shock absorber area. There will be a point between the spring and the upper mount spring-pad, which needs some oil. Also on the top of the shock absorber in the engine area will be a "hole" beside the nut. There will be also some oil needed.[/ol] BUT: be careful to work by yourself in this critical area. The "Haynes Repair Manual" (or comparable) should be consulted first.
Well, hope this helps.

Regards from merry ol' Germany

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM

While my dealer couldn't hear the noise, they did suggest that I get my front brakes replaced (they were never quite right - I should have did something while they were under warranty). The brakes are great now, but the noise remains. I have had at times considerable "creeking" noise from the struts as well as the banging noise at the front driver side. I'll look at using your second suggestion and see if this helps one of my noise source.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **HELP** with front end noise