Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 Convertible Will not Start Can't be Jumped

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Question 2000 Convertible Will not Start Can't be Jumped

I have a 2000 Convertible and everything was working fine. I had not driven it for a while and I got in it and it would not crank at all - acted like the battery was dead. I hooked the battery to a programmed charger and after several hours and the charger indicated that the battery was charged. Still would not crank at all. I hooked it up to my truck's battery and it appeared there was a short in the system as the jumper cables got hot almost immediately and it still would not crank.

I have the manual for this vehicle and I first thought there might be a problem with the voltage regulator and quickly discovered that it did not have one. The manual says that this function is now handled by the power distribution center. It looks like replacing this is an easy job, but I can't find the part and one U-Tube video showing how to replace the part said it was almost $1,000.00.

What could be wrong?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM

Regulator is function of PCM. How long is a "while" ?? Voltage regulator has nothing to do with charging when the car is not running.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM

The vehicle had been sitting less than a week. The battery was replaced about a year ago. The vehicle I tried to jump it with was a 2003 Dodge Ram diesel, which as a total aside, still has its original batteries and they work like a champ. Then I made the attachment I got more "sparks" than I normally get when the cables are completely hooked up. That concerned me and I quickly tried to start the Sebring and, nothing. When I disconnected the jumper cables, the were already hot and the insulation started to melt. The truck was unaffected - fortunately.

By the way, thanks for the quick response.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by davidvscott
I got more "sparks" than I normally get when the cables are completely hooked up. That concerned me and I quickly tried to start the Sebring and, nothing. When I disconnected the jumper cables, the were already hot and the insulation started to melt.
Start checking fuses...all of them. Also see if the fusible link between the starter and alternator is melted.