Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring 2.7 Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Default 2001 Sebring 2.7 Rattling

History of the car that I was told. The car had the oil sludge problem and the engine was replaced but sat for quite a while, supposedly the engine only has 2-3k on it.

Alright, so a guy asked me to change the head gaskets on a 2.7 Sebring. I dropped the car off at my house and I change the water pump, head gaskets and the thermostat. I started the car and it started right up and runs great. I heard a rattling noise from the motor that would quite up when the revs got higher. I took the car back to him and he said the car never made that rattling sound before (I hadn't heard the car run previously). So I took the car back and was sure it was the timing chain making the noise. I pulled the front plate off the car and started it and that is what it is. When the car is shut off the chain seems really loose, when I start it for a moment and shut it off again sometimes the chain seems tight. Also at low idle the oil light would flicker on and off. The tensioners and guide bolts are all tight a torqued and when it runs I do not see them moving. Any ideas? Hopefully I gave enough info for someone who has had this problem before.

The chain tensioner? While i was working on it, it sat for around 4 weeks, as I was only working on it part time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Also I did read through the forums for similar problems to this but it didn't seem like anything I read was the same as the problem I'm having.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:15 AM

Surprisingly enough, I'm having this exact issue on my '07 3.5L. Rattle sound coming from the belt side of the motor at high RPMs, and a random oil light at low idle. I figured it might be something to do with the tensioner.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 PM

The engine will make a real racket when you first start it up after installing the new chain until the tensioner fills up with oil and starts to work, but that should go away after a few seconds.
There was a change in the chain sometime after the 2001 model and replacement chains are of the new design. I think you need to replace the sprockets if you replace the chain on those older models. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
The flickering oil light is a known problem. Try installing a new switch (back side of engine behind a heat shield with three bolts) making sure that the oil passage leading to it is clear.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM

I try changing the switch out. The rattling is definitely not going away. lol. I'm just not sure where to start first.