Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Default 2001 Sebring A/C problems

2.7 engine. Daughter complained there has been no ac for a while now so I tried it:
Let me say the ac worked twice yesterday. Once when I started out and drove it for 20 min or so. When I gassed the car to get around someone it quit cooling (compressor disengages, air always blows). I parked it for about 20-30 min then drove it. It worked again. Drove it a couple of minutes and decided to test gassing it again. When I did it stopped cooling again and has not started again since.

I checked the relay and found it to be fine (tested it in the wiper relay socket. The wiper relay would not work in the ac socket). Both the coil portion and the clutch circuit portion of the relay sockets have voltage. When I jumper the clutch circuit the compressor engages and it cools great (pressure is 200psi high and 40 psi low). Also, if I run a wire from the relay control plug that is not hot when checked, plug in the relay, and ground the wire, the relay kicks in clutch engages, and ac works.

So, I have concluded the problem lies after the ac relay coil portion (the control circuit). Got to be a sensor, switch, or bad wire depending on what is connected between the relay control output and ground. Anything other possibilities???

I found a sensor on the high side line, un-hooked it and tried to jump it to get it to engage the clutch. Did not work. I am having a big problem finding a drawing of the ac system so I can find everything and a wiring diagram.

Can someone help???
Need drawing and diagram for the 2001 sebring 2.7 engine ac system.
Need any advice on what to check now and how to check it (and where it is!!)

Thanks