Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 sebring convertible lxi wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Default 2001 sebring convertible lxi wont start

my wife went out this morning to go to work and car wouldnt turn over, radio and everything works, lights, etc.

not sure where to start, i have read everything from fuses to camshaft positioning sensors, crankshaft positioning sensor, etc

getting no bus code in mileage space on dash

any help appreciated

thanks, brent

Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 PM

"wouldn't turn over"

To some people, that means the car wouldn't start. To others, it means it wouldn't even crank. What did you mean by that?

"no bus" means the data bus that allows the various modules to communicate with each other is not working. It could be indicative of a bad computer. A very low battery (among other things) might also cause that. How old is the battery?

Which engine are we talking about here?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Default no start

I am having the same problem with mine. It has a 2.5 v-6. I have already done fuel pump twice. still it would just shut off driving down the road. I know it has a bad oil leak coming rear valve cover(?). Was reading that it could be the distributor causing the problem. Have not had chance to look into the problem yet. After some trying to start cranking it just stop turning over completely. Now I have to check starter and then look at distributor with is in the back somewhere. While I am at it I will find out where the leak is along with doing a tune up. Only want to take intake off once. Not sure if that helps any, but I need some more ideas of what to do next. Not sure if crank sensor could cause it to just stop and then restart later when it wants too.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Default 2001 Sebring comvertible won't start. No bus

Sorry forgot mention. 2.7 motor and no start meaning no crank no click nothing.

So as I am inside registering for this site and typing original post. I left the hose open and driver side door. I would say about 30 min. I found some ideas to start unplugging sensors. I tried to start it and it started right up as if nothing has ever happened????

I don't want this thing leaving my wife somewhere. Now how do I rectify. We have had a new computer put in it about a month ago. It would start but running. Incredibly rough. Since the computer replacement it has been fine. Only other thing with this car before computer was replaced the radio would stop working. Unplug negative and it was fine again

Confused

Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Big Red Wagon
I am having the same problem with mine. It has a 2.5 v-6. I have already done fuel pump twice. still it would just shut off driving down the road. I know it has a bad oil leak coming rear valve cover(?). Was reading that it could be the distributor causing the problem. Have not had chance to look into the problem yet. After some trying to start cranking it just stop turning over completely. Now I have to check starter and then look at distributor with is in the back somewhere. While I am at it I will find out where the leak is along with doing a tune up. Only want to take intake off once. Not sure if that helps any, but I need some more ideas of what to do next. Not sure if crank sensor could cause it to just stop and then restart later when it wants too.
1. "My car won't start" may or may not be "the same problem". Yours is a different model car with a totally different engine. Rather than chiming in on this thread, you should start your own thread.

2. The most frequent source of trouble with your engine is the distributor. Since you haven't given us any other information like trouble codes from the computer, my suggestion is that you start looking into the distributor.

3. Try checking for the existence of a spark. If there's no spark, find out why.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by likity44
Sorry forgot mention. 2.7 motor and no start meaning no crank no click nothing.

So as I am inside registering for this site and typing original post. I left the hose open and driver side door. I would say about 30 min. I found some ideas to start unplugging sensors. I tried to start it and it started right up as if nothing has ever happened????

I don't want this thing leaving my wife somewhere. Now how do I rectify. We have had a new computer put in it about a month ago. It would start but running. Incredibly rough. Since the computer replacement it has been fine. Only other thing with this car before computer was replaced the radio would stop working. Unplug negative and it was fine again

Confused
"no crank no click nothing." Look for something in the starter circuit: The key switch, starter relay, connecting wiring.

"I left the hose open". What does that mean?

"I found some ideas to start unplugging sensors." So did you unplug sensors? Which ones? Is that why it started?

The radio has nothing to do with the car's starting or not.

The car is now 12 years old, soon to be 13. If you are afraid that it will strand your wife somewhere due to a mysterious glitch, maybe it's time to consider something newer. There's no magic wand that anybody here has that you can wave over the car and prevent any future problems from cropping up.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 06-18-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
"no crank no click nothing." Look for something in the starter circuit: The key switch, starter relay, connecting wiring.

"I left the hose open". What does that mean?

"I found some ideas to start unplugging sensors." So did you unplug sensors? Which ones? Is that why it started?

The radio has nothing to do with the car's starting or not.

The car is now 12 years old, soon to be 13. If you are afraid that it will strand your wife somewhere due to a mysterious glitch, maybe it's time to consider something newer. There's no magic wand that anybody here has that you can wave over the car and prevent any future problems from cropping up.
Sorry stud. Auto correct on the phone. I left th HOOD open my bad

I understand the car is 12-13 years old.

I read on a forum the radio has a security that goes thru the stereo

No I didn't unplug anything. Other than take negative off. It didn't crank after that either.

Thanks for the help

Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM

There's no security that goes through the radio that can prevent the car from starting. European models have a security feature in the radio that prevents the radio from working in another vehicle.

Have you made any effort to retreive codes from the computer? How old is that battery?