Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 sebring coup starter relay switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Default 2001 sebring coup starter relay switch

I hope someone can help me.
I have a 2001 sebring coupe.

Every now and then it wont start.
It makes a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the fuse box under the hood or on the firewall.

The battery is good. Its been tested 2 times.

When i throw on my battery charger it fires right up and runs great but once a month it wont start and i go thru this process.

Ive been told to change my starter relay swith....before I change my starter. I bought one and cant locate where it goes on the car.

I cant find it in the side dash fuse compartment or under the hood in the fuse box. The owners manual shows all the fuses but no relay switches..

Does it have a starter realy and if so where is it?

Thanks...
Bob

Old 09-04-2010, 06:30 PM

I meant to say Starter Relay Switch

Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 PM

It should be in the power distribution center (fuse box) in the engine compartment. Look at the underside of the cover of the box for a description of what's inside.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 AM

I looked and all the relays are reprisented on a diagram under the Power Distribution Centers cover... They are reprisented by symbols... fan, lights etc..... There dosent seem to be one for the starter relay... The starter relay I got from Advanced Auto Parts didnt match any of them.... It did however match the one in the dash but that one was for the heater/ac blower...... They may have sold me the wrong one....

Do you know what symbol would be used for the Starter Relay on the underside of the P.D.C cover?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 AM

ST body cars are the biggest PITA to work on. The manuals are layed out in a stupid way. Half the time they're wrong wether it be a wiring diagram or a test procedure. The illustration shows it in the relay box over by the battery. The one closest to the driver and fender.

Not to say they're not good cars, they are very dependable but engineering could have done a way better job than to just copy what Mitsubishi published.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Thanks man.
I tell ya what.. this car has been a pain.. Its black... and I bought this 01 in 03 and with in a year the paint started fading and it looks horrible. I always thought I didnt wax it enough but recently I saw two black ones just like mine all faded and messed up.

The owners manual is very vague and the diagrams suck your right...

Ill take your advice on where its located and see if I can get the auto parts to sell me the right relay and see what I can do. I really hope I dont have to change the starter.... Could a realy switch cause it not to start every month?

Thanks so much for your help man...

Bob

Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 AM

p.s.

Whats the symbol for the starter relay switch in the diagrams you have?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by RegulationPlanet
p.s.

Whats the symbol for the starter relay switch in the diagrams you have?

There isn't one. It's just an illustration of the engine compartment (that looks like a 4th grader drew) with a big line that points to it's location in the relay box by the battery. This is the OFFICIAL manual by the way. Genius isn't it?

Last edited by TNtech; 09-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 AM

I just looked where you said and the spot closest to fender and driver in this fuse box on this car is the horn...
I didnt say before but its a its a Sebring LXI...

3 from the bottom and closest to fender is a relay switch with a symbol that shows a car with a key inside the outline of the car running the whole length of the car... could that be the starter relay switch?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Said hell with it and changed the starter... enlisting the help of my nephew who is a mechanic student.
There is little room for anything under that car.
Broke the exhaust bolts where the exhaust connects to the manifold between engine and fan.. nightmare. but its done!