Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring Radio / Power Lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Post 2001 Sebring Radio / Power Lock issues

Hello,

I just got a 2001 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 V6 , a few weeks ago I originally wanted to install a aftermarket Stereo... , now I just want my door locks to work again... (note It has a stock stereo to begin with)

None of the powered locks or the "clicker" work when the car is off, but when the car is started or in "AUX" I am able to control the power lock unlock and lock with the Clicker

I am not able to do this with the door locks... I need help really bad I don't even want a new stereo anymore, please just help me get my car to the way it was...

I may have touched the red wire to the purple and yellow wire... I am guessing this is my problem?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Check the IOD fuse in the fuse panel at the left end of the instrument panel. Open the driver door and look at the end of the instrument panel. Pull off the cover and look for a fuse in the center of the panel with "ears" on it. Pull it out and see if the fuse is blown. One of the systems controlled by that fuse is the remote unlocking system which works when the key is off. That might be your problem.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 AM
Unhappy

First off, Thank you for replying!

I checked the IOD fuse after reading your reply, Unfortunately the fuse looks fine...

I looked more into what the purple and yellow wire does and I found a old post that you replied in... a long time ago. https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...661/0X652X.jpg

Does the Purple and yellow wire have a fuse? (or is the IOD fuse that fuse) or something I am almost certain that I ran A hot wire to it...

Old 09-29-2014, 09:06 AM

If you ran full battery power to the PCI bus, then there's no telling what kind of damage you might have done. The PCI bus is a communication line for the body computer. It's intended to carry low voltage and very low power for communication purposes only. Sort of like the phone or TV cable line coming into your house. If you connected either of those lines to a 120 volt or a 220 volt power line I think you can imagine what kind of trouble it would create for your phone/cable box/computer or whatever else might be connected.
The body computer controls the power door locks and a lot of other things, too, like the heater and air conditioner, lighting, instruments, etc, etc. If the locks are the only things affected, consider yourself lucky.
As for repair, unless you are an expert at computer hardware repair, you may very well be looking at replacement of the body computer, which will require programming the replacement to your specific vehicle. You can't just pull one out of a junker and slap it in to your car and expect it to work. You may be able to install a replacement and then have a dealer re-program it for you. I would discuss this possibility fully with the dealership first because it's quite possible that you'll have to have the car towed into the dealership for the programming, which will cost less than having them replace the computer but still won't be cheap.
There are services out there that will provide you with a properly programmed engine computer on an exchange basis for a couple hundred dollars. Whether they can/will do a body computer, I don't know. It's worth researching on the internet.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Well not full power should have been about 12 Volts... I can only imagine now that I know what that cable does..

The door locks only work when the car is on, but not off also I noticed my interior lights are not working either thankfully my heater is working! and so is everything else.

If I bring it to the dealer would they be able to find out what exactly happened? I called the Dealer and they said I can get a new computer for $600 and they will install it for $120. I looked online for a computer for this car and it is only about $200 so my question is should I go Pay $320 bucks to fix my computer or is there something else I might be missing?

Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM

You do know that the IOD fuse also controls the interior lights, right? Are you absolutely sure the fuse is good? IOD stand for "ignition off draw". Things that work with the key off are controlled by that fuse. The idea is that if the car sits in the dealer's lot for several weeks, they don't want the clock and remote key antenna and stuff like that to run the battery down. So the dealer pops the IOD fuse (you have seen how easy it is to do) until he wants to show the car too a customer, then he pushes it back in and everything works.
Make absolutely sure that fuse is good before you spend hundreds on a body computer.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up

You are right! I didn't take a good look at the Fuse last time, and it was blown I went to the store after work Bought like 4 fuses for $3 bucks and then slapped it in there and boom, It started working! Thank you so much for asking me to double check the fuse!

You helped save me literary hundreds of dollars Thanks again!

I am so glad its not the computer. I have learned my lesson about hooking up wires that I don't fully understand what they do. I will do more research next time.

Note: My friend and I were able to get the stereo working to he found out I had to run the ground directly to the metal in the stereo housing. So now my aftermarket stereo works as well