Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring AC intermittent - AC clutch not always engaged

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM

I made through a week of 100 degree temps and my a/c has worked perfectly since I swapped the dash controls.

jimG, give it a shot. Cheap, fast, easy, and most important, it worked for my car. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread, but I couldn't find a newer thread that covered this same issue & fix.

I too just had this issue on my '01 Sebring. Compressor would work and blow cold with the unit set to defrost, but not in any of the A/C positions.
Oddly enough, if it was cooler... it would sometimes work, but when you really needed the a/c it would not.

I found this fix on a site where people just registered complaints (i.e. not a help fourm). It has to do with the controller board.

If you are experiencing this issue, pop the controls out and unplug them. Then turn the controls upside down and take out the 3 philips screws. Carefully part the unit and you will then see 8 pins (1 and 5 marked). Try resoldering #8 (regardless of how good it might look).
Be careful... don't use too much heat and melt the whole assembly.

I did it on mine and this fixed the issue for me (as it had for the original poster on the other site).

One more thing... as soon as I took the unit out and turned it over, the whole picture became very, very clear.... the part had LUCAS stamped on it. If you have ever worked on an English car.... you will understand why.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM

I'm having this exact problem and was wondering if you ever found a solution

Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 AM

It ended up being the **** on the dash. I got a replacement from the junk yard. If I remember correctly, the face plate and the three control ***** all popped out in one piece and the whole this plugs into the dash. I can't remember if it unscrews or just pops out.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:57 AM

I saw that after I posted. I've taken mine out and tried a used one off eBay and no change, but I've been told there could be microscopic cracks in the soldering on the circuit board so I'm gonna try resoldering it this weekend

Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM

sorry to bring this up again.... But HELP!
I have the same problem on 2004 Sebring...When you said that thing about the "controller" and flipping over and soldering pin 8...What controller did you mean?

The HVAC on dash that the driver sets/control temperature, blower speed etc.? I heard there was an under the dash computer controller that takes signals from the HVAC on dash and regulates something on the compressor. - which did you mean?

I did replace the in-dash whole piece two years ago (a rebuilt piece from PartsGeek) and it did not fix the problem I was having THEN (that it would only blow at speeds 2,3 above---NOT at speed 1). Then later I had the "compressor clutch not staying engaged" problem) - maybe that is because the replacement on dash climate control was bad???? if so that was an easy fix.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ferlin M.
I saw that after I posted. I've taken mine out and tried a used one off eBay and no change, but I've been told there could be microscopic cracks in the soldering on the circuit board so I'm gonna try resoldering it this weekend
I have the same problem on 2004 Sebring (compressor engaged and very cold, then will not stay engaged for hours and hours).

What controller did you fix?

When you said that thing about the "controller" and flipping over and soldering pin 8...What controller did you mean?

The HVAC on dash that the driver sets/control temperature, blower speed etc.? I heard there was an under the dash computer controller that takes signals from the HVAC on dash and regulates something on the compressor. - which did you mean?

I did replace the in-dash whole piece two years ago (a rebuilt piece from PartsGeek) and it did not fix the problem I was having THEN (that it would only blow at speeds 2,3 above---NOT at speed 1). Then later I had the "compressor clutch not staying engaged" problem) - maybe that is because the replacement on dash climate control was bad???? if so that was an easy fix.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
I'm sorry to resurrect this thread, but I couldn't find a newer thread that covered this same issue & fix.

I too just had this issue on my '01 Sebring. Compressor would work and blow cold with the unit set to defrost, but not in any of the A/C positions.
Oddly enough, if it was cooler... it would sometimes work, but when you really needed the a/c it would not.

I found this fix on a site where people just registered complaints (i.e. not a help fourm). It has to do with the controller board.

If you are experiencing this issue, pop the controls out and unplug them. Then turn the controls upside down and take out the 3 philips screws. Carefully part the unit and you will then see 8 pins (1 and 5 marked). Try resoldering #8 (regardless of how good it might look).
Be careful... don't use too much heat and melt the whole assembly.

I did it on mine and this fixed the issue for me (as it had for the original poster on the other site).

One more thing... as soon as I took the unit out and turned it over, the whole picture became very, very clear.... the part had LUCAS stamped on it. If you have ever worked on an English car.... you will understand why.
I have the same problem on 2004 Sebring (compressor engaged and very cold, then will not stay engaged for hours and hours).

When you said that thing about the "controller" and flipping over and soldering pin 8...What controller did you mean?

Old 10-05-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by duolos777

I still haven't gotten mine fixed but I'm talking about the actual temperature control above the radio. I tried replacing mine at once with a used part and nothing changed, but I saw where someone did the same thing. They replaced with a used one and no change, then they bought a new one and that fix the problem. Recently I tried to warm my car up in the morning and when I got in the car the ac was on even though I had the defrost and heat on, which is really leading me to believe that it's the controls that are the problem. Haven't solved my own problem but I hope this helps you.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Thank you for your (quick) reply.
Good luck in fixing yours.

A friend of mine "energized" the clutch on the air compressor and it engaged fine. But when the car is doing that, it only lasts for 2-30 minutes and then stops the signal to the clutch to engage.

I am hoping that it is either the on-dash user control unit (above the radio) and/or the relays.

I just ordered a new control unit (my last used one might not have been good), and every relay that might relate to this (see below). On PartsGeek I saw an HVAC relay AND a "Compressor Clutch Relay". I will try them out and hope that it is not the PCM computer. Then send back what didn't work I guess.

Here is what I ordered to try (I think there may be some overlap here - but I would have it than not have it to try):
2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C & Heater Relay Price: $23.08 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: RY-679

2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C Control Relay Price: $9.08 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: RY-612

2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C Compressor Throttle Cutoff Relay Price: $19.08 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: 36126

2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C Compressor Clutch Relay Connector Price: $35.33 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: S-1600

Thank you again for your help..Let me know if you learn anything and I, too, will pass back if I do.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sebring AC intermittent - AC clutch not always engaged