Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2009 Sebring code p2004

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Default 2009 Sebring code p2004

I have 2009 Sebring that recently the engine light turned on and ended up with code p2004. Engine seems to be running fine, I cleared the code and it came back about 2 weeks later. I absolutely see no change in the sound or performance of the motor. Any Suggestions on this problem?

Thank You

Robert

Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Default 09 Sebring code p2004

I read somewhere that I may need to clean trottle body or check vaccuum lines. ??????

Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM

firevia,

Below is the information from the service manual for your review:

2009 Sebring 2.4L Engine; DTC: P2004-Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open

With the engine running, when the valve closes, below a calibrated RPM, depending upon pedal position.

The PCM detects that the position feedback of the Manifold Flow Valve Position Sensor is not within range of the adapted value learned during in-plant initialization or after a non volatile memory reset (adaptive memory clear).

Possible Causes
INTERMITTENT DTC
(F856) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(F856) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(F856) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (F856) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
(F856) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(Z906) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
MANIFOLD FLOW VALVE
INTAKE MANIFOLD
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Hope this gets you in the right direction.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Default 2009 Sebring code P2004

My wife drives a 2009 Sebring LX 2.4L with 80,000 miles on it. We recently got a check engine light while under hard acceleration to get on the highway. I took the car to Advance Auto Parts to have the code read. It was P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open. I removed the intake manifold and saw that the plastic doors which control airflow in the intake runners were in fact stuck open. I notice alot of carbon buildup and cleaned it with some throttle body cleaner and reinstalled the intake manifold. The next day I was once again accellerating to merge with traffic on the highway and the light came on, so I took it to Advance Auto Parts to have the code read a second time and it was again P2004. I ordered a new intake manifold with a new flow control valve. When I pulled the old intake manifold off, the runner control was again stuck open. I installed the new one last week and it seems to be working even under hard acceleration.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 PM

I have a 2008 Sebring and having this same code P2004. I took it to a local repair shop. They charged me $149 for the part and not sure how much labor because they change both front sway bars at same time, but was $189 in labor. After 4 months the light came back on. Part was still under warranty so took it back. They supposedly had replace it again, but charged me like $55 for labor again. Two weeks later the light is back on. I don't believe they replaced in the first place. Me being a lady I am sure they think can get away with it. I am my ducks in a row before I go to file a small on them. I am not going to be jerked around by this guy.

Can this part only be replace or does it take the manifold and accenuator or whatever the part is? To rest it, I assume you need a special tool?
Is there a number on the original part that a dealership could distingish whether it has been replaced or manufacturer part?

I really cant afford a lot to fix it at a dealership. I have a person who lives acros from me who said I should not have gone there to begin with. The guy is crooked. He is willing to fix if I can only find out what all needs done.

Any adcice is appreciated.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 PM

Also, what can happen if not replaced. Many people I know are driving around with their engine lights on, but not this particular problem

Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 AM
Default P2004

On the jeep compass, patriot, dodge caliber , dodge avenger and dodge journey . . . P2004 with no noticeable change in engine performance .
Solution
The dealer suggest replacing the intake manifold. What would the reason to replace the entire manifold?
The truth is i have examined P2004 in its entirety. And so as not to waste anyone's time , the manifold is manufactured to fail. Upon performing a comprehensive tear-down of the intake manifold i was able to conclude P2004 " intake manifold runner stuck open".
What causes the runner to become stuck, can it be cleaned and or repaired?
Carbon is not a contributing factor in the runner becoming stuck, and of such no amount of cleaning will release the runner so it can close. Chrysler suggest changing the manifold, I just did not wish to spend $500 so I disassembled an old manifold to investigate the real cause. It is a manufacture defect, deliberately or otherwise but it can be fixed. My next post will provide more on P2004.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:02 AM
Default Further info

Originally Posted by Yaadi tech
On the jeep compass, patriot, dodge caliber , dodge avenger and dodge journey . . . P2004 with no noticeable change in engine performance .
Solution
The dealer suggest replacing the intake manifold. What would the reason to replace the entire manifold?
The truth is i have examined P2004 in its entirety. And so as not to waste anyone's time , the manifold is manufactured to fail. Upon performing a comprehensive tear-down of the intake manifold i was able to conclude P2004 " intake manifold runner stuck open".
What causes the runner to become stuck, can it be cleaned and or repaired?
Carbon is not a contributing factor in the runner becoming stuck, and of such no amount of cleaning will release the runner so it can close. Chrysler suggest changing the manifold, I just did not wish to spend $500 so I disassembled an old manifold to investigate the real cause. It is a manufacture defect, deliberately or otherwise but it can be fixed. My next post will provide more on P2004.
  • I dont find your next post but I'm in need of further info. I've replaced intake manifold twice because of this code and 4 weeks later engine light and code again. HELP. I cannot afford to keep doing this. I have a 2009 Sebring with 240,000ish miles and an almost 4 year old new engine. What will it take to resolve this new and recurring issue after two new intake manifolds giving the same code as my original one that started this?