Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2010 Sebring Transmission temperature gauge install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Default 2010 Sebring Transmission temperature gauge install?

Hey everybody, I've got a 2010 Chrysler Sebring Limited, 3.5L V6 with about 48,000 kms.

As it's probably known on these forums, the tranny tube doesn't have a dipstick :|

I'm only concerned about checking the level because the cooler lines are sweating a bit, Im in central Canada and its known that some vehicles sweat a bit of fluid in the winter and not in the summer, I had the car at the dealership and they checked my tranny oil and said it was at a good level, but they charge a half an hour of labour to do it because they have to plug in the OBD reader.

So they said it was fine, and what I had done was grabbed a random dipstick from the auto wrecker and just checked it when it was warm, so that's my ballpark for now, when it's warm if it's around that level I'm fine.

I ordered a stick from Piston Ring that Chrysler uses, and it's the one that lists the Millilitres based on the temperature, and the OBD reader I have doesn't display the transmission fluid temperature, which would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't, so I'd like to get a gauge installed to monitor this and check the level accordingly.

Whats the best location for a probe? Has anybody done this before? Or what other solutions has anybody found to this problem...

Stupid proprietary parts and the dealerships :/

Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Blame it on Mercedes Benz its there transmission not Chrysler.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM

How helpful ^

The OBD Reader I have displays it. I use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter I got on eBay for $20, and pair it to my Android running Torque +. If I remember correctly, it's usually around 149 degrees F.

As far as a gauge install, I don't believe they make gauge clusters for our year Sebring, however they do make them for the Avenger, our sister car. Getting it to work is another problem. Seeing as the computer uses the CANBUS system instead of a simple voltage, intercepting that would not only be difficult, it might interfere with the PCM's calculations.

If you want me to, I can get a screenshot of what Torque can pull from the OBD connection.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Hey thats great news! I just bought torque and ordered an OBD bluetooth reader off of ebay as well. Its not the same one as yours but hopefully the obd reader wont matter. I wouldnt mind seeing a screenshot that would give me some sort of releif haha.

Much appreciated

Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Acthally it is the

Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Actually it is the same one. Right on!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM

*delete post*

Old 03-01-2014, 01:32 AM

No problem! I will get you one next time I drive! It's actually a very powerful app. It can see virtually anything your car can, and if you know anything about programming, you can even create your own PIDs.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by UniversalShaman
Acthally it is the
Originally Posted by fhadso
No problem! I will get you one next time I drive! It's actually a very powerful app. It can see virtually anything your car can, and if you know anything about programming, you can even create your own PIDs.

Fill me in quick whats a PID?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM

A PID is a value that the PCM gives out through the OBD port. i.e. intake temp, RPM, KPH, etc.

I looked at the ones that mine gave out and unfortunately, it didn't give out the tranny temp once last night when I drove it. I swear it's done it before, though. I remember specifically that it did. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe it just didn't report it last night, I"m not sure. But regardless, it's still worth it to have the app and adapter.

Quick Reply: 2010 Sebring Transmission temperature gauge install?