Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

99 sebring jxi - intermittent starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Default 99 sebring jxi - intermittent starting issues

Hello!

I have a 99 Sebring Jxi Conv, that I honestly love (just spent $1200 on it to get some coolant system leaks handled, which included timing belt, water pump, new belts, among other things)..

Over the past week, It has been having issues with starting. Everything comes on fine, but turning the key over, it just clicks. It did this a few times, then I waited a couple minutes, tried again and it was fine for a few days. It now has seemed to got worse and have been unable to get it going all day.

I checked fuse, just in case, but knew it sounded like solenoid was being fired. It has been a little sluggish on starting, which leads me to believe it is the starter itself... I just need to make sure it is that and not anti-theft in some possible way.

I have not checked battery post wires, nor have I tried to jump it (in case battery is not holding enough juice to fire the solenoid).

Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 PM

Hey! Sounds like a week/bad battery to me or corroded terminals. Noticed you have not tried jumping it yet...I'd first start there or if you have a battery charger, charge it.

Any dash lights or system codes?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 PM

I am going to try jumping it tomorrow and try to check terminals (it was torrential raining today so couldn't do much). I did have to jump start it a couple weeks ago, due to my leaving headlights on, so maybe by doing that, I ended up causing it to be weaker than it should be.

I don't have a code reader, unfortunately... and nothing special on dash. Lights and Radio all come on, when I turn the switch, radio stays on, interior lights go off/dim.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:43 AM

Yeah it sounds like its a battery issue you have happening since you had to have it jumped once prior. How old is your battery by chance? I guess batterys in new cars need to be replaced sooner than later.

Its no fun working on cars in the rain either so do not blame you on that one. Its cold where I am at and I had to do an oil change and replace the battery in my car but, I have a garage I do my work in...It helps still cold though.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Well, got out and played with it this morning. Definitely starter/solenoid issue!

It was still doing the same thing with jumper cables/car running to help boost its power. I noticed when it wasn't working that it was actually arc'ing possibly on the body, if the solenoid/starter is visible at all from the top.

Either way, after a few times of clicking it/trying to get it to fire, it fired up.... turned it off... did same thing.

I live in an apartment complex, so not too sure I can do the replacement on their grounds, so going to try to get it to a shop I guess and let them fix it, since it shouldn't break the bank

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Could be a bad ground or corrosion at a connection somewhere between the battery and the starter. Trace all the heavy wiring from the battery and clean up any corroded connections you find.