Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

AC/Heater Fan stopped working, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Default AC/Heater Fan stopped working, 2003

Thanks ahead of time for any/all help you guys provide, you're great!

The fan for the AC/Heather in my wife's 2003 Sebring (4-door, V4) has stopped working. Here's the weird part...It works randomly every few weeks for 30 minutes or whatever, then stops again. This leads me to believe it's some kind of short somewhere, but I am far from a car genius lol.

Some details:
-when not working, the fan doesn't work on any speed (0-4). When it does kick in and work randomly, all speeds work.
- something similar happened 5 or so years ago and only the higest speed would work. From this forum, it was recommended i replace some module under the passenger side/glove compartment and that totally fixed the problem. everything worked great until a couple months ago.
-the heat and AC still seem to work as i can feel the car get warmer or colder when i change the temperature, it just takes forever to feel any temperature change since there isn't a fan blowing the air.

If I didnt provide enough info, please let me know. I'm wondering if i need to replace that module again or actually bring this in to have it diagnosed. Thanks again for any and all help and suggestions!

-Trevor

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM

I'm guessing that you have automatic temperature control and that you replaced the blower control module. That's an electronic component that could conceivably be working on an intermittent basis. I'd start there again and replace that to see if it cures the problem. If not, you might need to replace the blower motor. Check for any loose wires.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM

I ordered the AC blower resistor and will replace it, again, to see if that's the issue. Oddly enough, on the way home from work yesterday, the fan started working again out of the blue and then stopped on the way in to work this morning. If this doesn't work, would the blower motor be next? Is that a Do-It-Yourself project a novice could manage? Thanks for the help and opinions!

-Trevor

Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM

If you don't have ATC and are just going to replace the resistor, I doubt that that will solve the problem. Resistors either work or not, they don't mysteriously start working after not working. A blown resistor is like a burnt out light bulb...once it's gone, it's gone.
The problem could be anywhere between the control switch and the motor. I don't know your abilities or tools but if you wnt to trace the problem down properly, you should probably start with a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and see if you can figure out if the motor is getting power and if not, why not. If the motor is getting power but not working, then the motor is the problem. If the power is not getting to the motor, you'll need to trace back to see why not.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM

I agree that I don't think its the resistor but thought I'd give that a shot. Since so many of the Sebrings have the issue of the fan not working on settings 1-3 but work on 4, which required the first resistor replacement, im wondering if the aftermarket one I bough could be some sort of cause. Again, I doubt its the problem but thought it would be a fairly simple task to write that off (and I'll just return the part if that's not it!).

I'll send out an update after I try this. Thanks again for the help!

-Trevor