Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

advice on purchase please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Default advice on purchase please!

I am looming to get advice on a purchase. Im looking at a 2002 sebring lxi coupe. It has 167k miles. The moonroof doesnt work and there are "light" oil drips the owner has said. I love in new england. The owner is asking $1250. I have already talked him down to $1000 without even looking at the vehicle. I would like to be informed as much as i can. What are some things i should ask. What are some things i should look for and be concerned about.
Thank you.very much!!

Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM

Hey there. Does it have the 2.7 engine? If so; make sure you look at the dip stick and check to see what the color/condition of the oil is. If it looks like "coffee" instead of motor oil DONT GET IT!. Also look under the oil cap itself for any "particles" that may have formed there. That is oil sludge. You will also see that coffee color under the oil cap if it has been run recently as well. Those are signs of a bad H2o pump and that it has been leaking coolant into your motor oil. Not good.

Start up the engine and listen for a knock upon starting or while running. Not good either. That is usually the result of a motor that has been starved from oil, usually caused by oil sludge.

Take it for a spin and try out everything; heat/ac, radio, defrost, etc. How does the transmission shift? Is it nice and smooth ...or is it harsh.

Also check the upper and lower ball joints for any cracks in the rubber boots.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the advice, im almost certain that it has the 3.0....it looks like a beautiful car. I will have it checked by my mechanic. Im just a little concerned because doing research it seems like alot of people have peoblems with these cars and this does have high mileage but i guess thats why its only $1000

Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Those are Mitsubishi's under the hood...It just has Chrysler slaped on the front of it...Personally I've never owned one but two people I work with do and they have no issues with them.

But if it helps; my last two cars prior to these Chryslers, were Mitsubishis and I had excellent luck with them, both. My first was a 1991 Eclipse GSX Turbo...Loved it Owned it 4 years...Second was an Eagle Talon TSi Turbo...Loved it just as much. Owned it 8 years befor requiring its first huge repair. The Eagle is just as your Sebring is, Just has Chrysler on the front of it.

You should check the timing belt on those Mitsubishis...Thats regular matinence to have done on them.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Is there anyway to check to see of the belt has been done? I asked the owner. He said hes had it two years and havent done it

Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 AM

You can remove the upper timing belt cover and visually inspect the belt that way. Its not hard to do either, its on top of the engine and its to the left. Just remove the bolts and the cover pops right off. Its a rounded black plastic cover. With engine off, check the belt for frayed edges, missing teeth and check the belts tension by pressing on the belt right below the back of the cam sprocket. If any of these things are present, thebelt will need to be replace shortly. If there is play in the belt that means the timing belt tnesioner is not working right.

Also listen to how the engine sounds while running. Listen for any chattering noises as those might indicate issues. I as well looked at a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T; was beautiful but it had the chattering noise from the timing belt area. I didnt even look at the belt. I decided against the car.