Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Chrysler Sebring starter fuse problem.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Default Chrysler Sebring starter fuse problem.

Hi everyone....I really need help here. And, I'm not that proficient with cars, so whoever decides to help me, please put things in layman terms. I'm a fast learner, just not great in car talk. So, thanks in advance.

I have a Chrysler Sebring 2001 convertible. This problem started about a few months ago.

I go to start the car. Power and everything works, but it will not kick over. Or, I hear a tiny little pop. I found out it was my starter fuse.

So, I replaced it. Now, it is happening more and more.

I've gone online to research and get tons of different answers. If one was going to diagnose the problem, where would they start and how.

I have come here, because I'm a mom with very little income. I really need this car for my kids, and have nothing else to use. So, I get stranded if anything happens.

Please don't refer me to a mechanic because where I am, they will just rob me here in Florida, with no good work. I intend to go for a serious change out of a part if necessary (when I understand it), but if it is something I can fix, I'd rather do it myself. I learned how to fix tons of things around the house, including my dishwasher, etc.

I really hope someone will work with me on this. Thank you again.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM

You mentioned a starter "fuse". There is no fuse in the starter circuit. Did you mean the starter relay? It's located in the Power Distribution Center, which is the fusebox under the hood. There is a legend on the underside of the box cover showing what is what in there.

You say it will not "kick over". Do you mean it will not crank or it will crank but not start?

There are numerous possible causes for not starting. It may be something as simple as corrosion on the wiring termials or may be a worn out starter motor or a bad relay. You may be able to fix this depending on the tools you have, but it's unlikely that you will be able to if all you have is a screwdriver and pair of pliers.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Is it fuse # 8 ?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Default I had that problem

It did trip the starter fuse but there is a wire that needs to be rerouted and soldered where it runs it rubs causing it to short.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by nfratto
It did trip the starter fuse but there is a wire that needs to be rerouted and soldered where it runs it rubs causing it to short.
EXACTLY which wire need to be relocated?

Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 PM

If you are blowing a starter fuse when you try to start it, usually that means the starter is wearing out and pulling too many amps.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 PM

The "Starter" fuse does not control the amps to the Starter Motor.
The "Starter" fuse is only 20 amps and it controls ...
a) The Starter Relay Coil
b) The Starter Solenoid Coil
c) The Fuel Pump
d) The Radio
e) Some of the Ignition Switch
f) Power Train Control Module ?
g) a few other small devices.

There is no FUSE in the PDC for the Starter Motor

Last edited by mvas; 02-25-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

The Starter Solenoid Coil

there is your answer to many amps.