Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

FOR CHRYSLER TECHS 96 Sebring 2.5 V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Default FOR CHRYSLER TECHS 96 Sebring 2.5 V6

I have a 96 sebring 2.5 V6. I have no spark or injector pulse. The code came up ECM and Cam Sensor. I went ahead and changed the ECM and distributor, cam is inside it. Now, I have no codes and it still doesn't start. I have new alternator, spark plugs, starter, battery, fuel pump, filter, air filter, cap is good, rotor moves. It is out of time but wouldn't I still get a missfire or spark? My fuel pump has went out 4 times in a year. This last time, it melted the 3 inch wire inside the tank, goes to fuel pump and the top plate. Did this lead to something big? I replaced it with new wires and pump. Both these peoblems happened at the same time. I think it is something that control them both. What could it be? It's been 3 weeks and I have no clue. Fuses are ok. I checked the wires, visually, seemed ok. Can somebody please point me in the right path. I need to get back to work. Please, I have spent every last penny I had and it still doesn't run. Can you please tell me what I can do next? Very much appreciated, Rick

Old 01-14-2011, 12:52 PM

You say the distributor is "out of time". I doubt that the ECM would attempt to send either a spark or fuel pulse if the timing was sufficiently off. Check the belt and timing, get that straightened out and let us know what happens.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

buy a service manual it will give u step by step instructions or what to check go back and look over everything U have done.

By just replacing stuff with out correctly checking them out all U did was manage to change something else in the puzzle that now has to be checked correctly to make sure that it is not part of the issues u are having now. Say u had no spark to start with and U go change all kinda stuff well u changed all of that stuff lus what was original with it not starting to begin with now U could have created a prob on top of what was already there.

so u have 2 choices buy the service manual and go back over everything one by one
or pay to have a professional to look at it and fix it along with anything else that was created with all the parts being thrown at it.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Absolutely agree with CT.....

But ..since I'm feeling extremely generous this afternoon.......

Google "Chrysler A.S.D. relay"...and figure out what it is and what it does.

Burnt Wiring only happens from one thing......OVERCURRENT....

Think about that, and when you have gained sufficient knowledge of ASD and its function, it will make sense.....

BACK TO BASICS....Have you REMOVED and CHECKED ALL Fuses???????

Just out of Curiousity......WHAT code led you to replace ECM????

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Default sebring 2.5 V6 won't start

I appreciate the response guys, if I had the title, it would be gone. The codes were 53,54. Cam sensor and ECM. I have checked all fuses. I could use a diagram of the fuse box in the cab because I have no cover. I pulled them out and checked though. The body shop told me the codes. I just dont know. I can't change the relays with each other because they are different sizes. I will check all I can about them. I know the ASD controls everything I have a problem with. I pulled it out and tried to start it, but no luck. Also, I pulled other sensors as well. Can the crank cause this? I appreciate your help guys. I thank you so much.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:19 PM

I pulled it out and tried to start it,

Well of course not..... To bypass it, you would have to "JUMPER" the two terminals not remove them.....

#87 and #30 are connected with the relay engaged......a Paper clip, or such may be used to jump across the terminals.....****MAKE FULLY SURE YOU ARE POKING THE CORRECT TERMINALS*****