Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Dashboard lights not working

Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Default Dashboard lights not working

I just bought a 2001 Chrysler Sebring from a dealership. All my test driving was done during the day and with the odometer, etc on the dashboard being white with black numbers/arrows I could tell this at the time. The dashboard lights don't work which makes driving at night a bit tricky. the rest of the lights illuminate except the dashboard. I've played with the diming and all light combinations I could think of. Also, my tail lights work and I know in some cars the dashboard and tail lights are on the same fuse.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM

The tail lights are on a different fuse. Assuming yours is not a coupe, check fuse 11 in the fuse panel at the left end of the dash. If that doesn't prove to be the source of the problem, you might need to have the instrument cluster pulled out to replace the bulbs or find the problem, which is somewhat of a big deal.
If that's the case, check your bill of sale from the dealer. Sometimes they give a 30 day warranty, and since this is a safety item, they should honor it.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Thank you!!! Fingers crossed that it's a fuse (and thanks for telling me where the fuse box is, I honestly didn't know but hadn't investigated yet.)

Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 PM

When you open the driver's door, you'll see a cover at the end of the dashboard. Pull it off with your fingers and you'll find the fuse box under there. Look at the underside of the cover for a legend of what is what in the fusebox.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 PM

The problem may be a bad power inverter in the gauge cluster. It sounds like you have the limited type electroluminencent gauges. The background of the gauge glows a blue green color. I don't know for sure on the 2001 models, but the 2000 model you can replace the inverter with an aftermarket one. Some models have the inverter built in. It is a small black cube shaped plastic thing. I may be easier to replace the gauge cluster with a standard type.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM

do a search for "mister wizard" in western Canada. He fixes dash boards for all makes. the 01 sebring indaglow goes out, mine did, he fixed it and shipped it back to me the same day.

Mike

Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM

I have a 2001 Limited Convertible and have lost my dash cluster lights. I read here about an inverter, does anyone know where it is located and how it can be checked? Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Found Mister Wizard : www.mrwhizard.com and found this.

1999-04 Sebring w/ white face gauges - Symptoms: No Cluster Lighting at night. Repair Cost $199

Guess it's pretty common problem. Now, any hints on removing the cluster from a 2001 Limited Convertible?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Basically, you must remove all the trim panels around the cluster. This involves taking off almost every trim panel on the dashboard. You'll need a set of plastic trim tools. Then, once you have burrowed down to the cluster itself, you unscrew the screws holding it and pull it out, disconnecting it from the plug that powers it. The Haynes manual (#25040) describes the process in chapters 11 and 12 reasonably well.
With the proper tools and some patience, you can do it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM

i have a 2002 chrysler sebring, the cluster lights are not working, but the rest of the interior lights work. they just cut out one day. since i got the car the interior lights have always flickered as well. we've changed the bulbs for the cluster and also checked the fuse but still nothing. im not sure where to look next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard lights not working