Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Dreaded P0601 Code just came up

Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Default Dreaded P0601 Code just came up

On my daughters 2001 sebring over the past few weeks the check engine light was on but no code was present. Code scanners did not find any codes.

She called me stranded one evening and stated the car had died on her and would not start. I found out that the issue was caused by a bad fuel pump relay so I bought a new one and it fixed it (so I thought). 2 months ago, there was an issue with the car blowing the starter fuse which I sprayed with electral cleaner (had lots of oil and dirt on them) and repositioning the wires and that issue has not come back (Fuse has not blown any more).

So over the last week she tells me that her car is hard to start in mornings only, but later in the day it is fine. So on saturday morning she could not get it started so I go out and it was the starter that was bad and was kicking out. Took it off and had it tested and it was blowing breaker on test machine. So I put a new starter on and all seemd fine to me. I drove it on Saturday and started it a few times with no issue. Than on Sunday it did not want to start at first then it did and she drove it shutting it off and on a few times as she ran arrends. Then same thing on Monday.

So this morning I went out to see for my self before I left for work. Could not get it started, but did see a code in the odometer P1648 which just means the battery was recently disconnected. When I get home tonight I tried again and it took a few tries but it did start once and then I shut it off and tried again but no luck. Now I notice the P0601 code for the 1st time (May have been there before).

I did a seach and see that it usually means a new PCM is needed, but I don't want to spend that kind of money if that is not the issue. How can I know fore sure that it needs a new PCM?

Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

P0601-INTERNAL MEMORY CHECKSUM INVALID
need a new pcm dont get a used one get one programed already or a new one.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Default Thanks

So I need new PCM for sure then ??
What went bad to cause this after 129,000 miles?

Where would be a good place to buy one at a reasonable price?
Online?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM

I bought one for my 2001 Sebring on eBay for about $200. You send them your VIN and mileage, they program the computer and send it to you. You send the old one back to them. The price includes shipping. I was very satisfied with the service.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

autocomputerexchange.com

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Default NEW PCM Installed - But new issue

I installed the replacement PCM from Auto computer exchange. Car started and seemed to run ok, I took it for a test drive and at 1st it was running ok, but then every so often it would act like it was going to die but then it would take off running fine. Felt like a quick stumble or shudder. IT did this 10 to 15 times on the 12 mile ride. When I got back home I shut it off and then started it agian and it would idle ok but then it would stumble and died a couple of times.

Before the old PCM quit working the check engine light was on but I could not find any codes for why. THe only codes I had was P1684 (Battery diconnected) & P0601 (PCM bad).

I stil have both codes. I thought the P0601 would go away with the new PCM. I also think I found the reason for the engine light. The IAT sensor had not been plugged back into the Air Intake hose. So I plugged it back in when I put it all back together before the test ride and the engine light was no longer on.

So could the IAT be bad sice it was left dangleing for some time which is now causing the stumble/studdering?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM

I can't believe the IAT would go bad for not being plugged in. It's not plugged in sitting on the shelf behind the parts counter.
Have you tried clearing the codes and seeing what comes back?

Look for unplugged vacuum hoses too.

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? Plug wires? At 129,000 mi, they are certainly overdue if they haven't been changed.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Default 2nd test drive

Thanks for the reply.

No the new plugs are still on the work bench waiting to go in but I was in the middle of doing new struts and the new PCM. Once I get both of those completed the plugs are next. Had to wait to get new upper mounts for the rear struts which just came in today, ,so I have one on now and will do the other this weekend.

I thought the same thing the more I thought about it, so I unhooked the IAT and the engine light came back on as expected but I noticed the cause of the issue this time as it was dark out. Echan time it stumbles the CRUSE light on the dash comes on and then goes off. it seems to stumble whrn it comes on.

Notsure yet what is causing that, it did not happen with the old PCM. I tried turning it on but it then went off on its own and then back on again and again on its own.

Any idea?
Bad new PCM?
I looked for a fuse or relay to turn off the cruse for now but was not able to locate it, nothing I see indicate cruse or speed control but I am stil looking.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

still get the 601?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 PM

Yes it is still showing when doing the key dance

Last edited by GT Pony 1; 10-13-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dreaded P0601 Code just came up