Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Default front wheel bearing

I have a 2004 2.4L sebring with 101,000 milesand there is a grinding noise coming from the front end when I'm driving straight down the road. But when I turn the steering wheel to the right it goes away. So thinking that it's a wheel bearing I checked both front tires for any up and down play or side to sideplay and they seem tight. My question is if there is always play in the wheel when a bearing goes bad? Or what do you guys think? Thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Default RE: front wheel bearing

Get the car up on a hoist or securely on jackstands and start the wheels going. It'll talk to you and tell you where the problem is. You might want a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint the problem. They are on sale right now at Harbor Freight for about $3.00.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Tryed that already and it does'nt make any grinding noise when tires are off the ground, only when under load.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM

The shop manual gives the following as the procedure for diagnosis and testing of the front hub bearing:

'With the wheel, disk brake caliper and brake rotor removed, rotate the wheel hub. Any roughness or resistance to rotation may indicate dirt intrusion or a failed hub bearing. If the bearing exhibits any of these conditions during diagnosis, the hub bearing will require replacement.'

If you pull it apart to make these checks, you should also check the rotor for evidence of grinding. It's possible to get a little stone in someplace where it shouldn't be and get a grinding noise.

To replace the bearing, you have to pull the steering knuckle off. That's a bigger job.

Let us know how it all works out.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Well, the easy way is to raise the wheel up just off the ground and check up and down for play. A little side to side is normal in the steering, but you should have none up and down. Also, loose wheel nuts will have the same symptoms as a bad bearing, but more dangerous.

As for changing it, you should be able to get away with popping off the lower ball joint from the knuckle and maybe the tie-rod. You don't need to get the driveshaft all the way out, just as long as you can get at the bolts.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM

I'm going to check out this front pass. side bearing on tues. I believe it's pass. side cause every time I turn to the right and the weight of the car shifts to the left the noise goes away. The car is not my DD so it does'nt need to get fixed in a hurry. I am fixing it and then putting up for sale since wife and I have three vehicles, one must go to cut backa little.so if anyone is interested let me know it's a clean car with no other problems. 2004 sebring Lx 2.4L 101,000 miles, new brake rotors and pads, two new tires, new battery, and justchanged spark plugs, filters, and oil. Black on black leather, sunroof, and rear spoiler.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 AM

You can probably localize the sound by driving by some parked cars with the window down. You should be able to hear the echo off the parked cars pretty well.
Try both sides.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Default .

Mudda, did you ever find out what the problem was? I am experiencing the same thing on a 1999 chrysler lhs, I have play at 12 and 6 o'clock on the drivers side tire. Just had wheel hub replaced, but yeah same symtoms, noise goes away when turning right, but when straight or to the left theres a vibration noise. Get back to me if your still on here plz. Thanks.

Oh yeah, and I have 175k miles on the car. so things are starting to go, gonna sell it at 180k before value depreciates too far.