Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Head gasket job

Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Default Head gasket job

Hi

I just started dissassembling my 2.7l engine 2004, 60k miles for head gasket after I found that there is a leak to water jacket ( bubbles and black dirts in water container).

I'm already half the way, tomorrow I'm taking off timing chain and heads and would like to ask if someone has recommandation, tips, comments or warnings on this issue.

I found that water passeges are very dirty, is it possible to use some chemicals to clean and rinse?

other parts are really in good condition like chain, pulley and tensioner. no sludge, no worn parts.

i'll make pics later and post them .

thanks

Last edited by Laimon; 10-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

take the heads to the machine shop have them pressure test and check the deck for warp age also any smoke from the back like blue from oil? if so have them replace the valve stem guides.

while U are there replace the water pump,guides

Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM

thanks, water pump i will replace for sure..

but no smoke from the back. engine looks really new. so I think only head gasket blown .
guides will be changed too ..

any other hint ?

I'm just worried putting the engine back togather, I wanna know everything before i do so ..

Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM

well i'm changing all seals ( timing cover, oil pan head cover gasket) .... but how can i clean up water passeges in my engine block, really they are dirty ..

Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 PM

There are chemical flushes that you can put in once the system is back together and operating. If you go that route, be sure to rinse them out completely with lots of clean water, then put in the proper antifreeze recommended for your car by Chrysler. When flushing with the clean water, be sure not to apply full city water pressure to the system or you'll blow the water pump seals. City water pressure can be up to 90 psi; you car's cooling system was designed to operate at about 16 psi.
Using the wrong antifreeze or mixing different kinds of antifreeze probably caused that problem in the first place.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Thanks, I have noticed that 4 of the 6 holes from lower manifold were completely black and burnt up. does it mean that valves are not properly working ?

Last edited by Laimon; 10-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 PM

By "holes from the lower manifold", are you referring to the coolant passages? If so, they should have nothing to do with the intake or exhaust valves. If you are referring to the intake air passages, they should not be "burnt up". You might have a problem with either the EGR system or the PCV system.

Look at the valves themselves and their seats to determing if they are in need of refinishing or replacement.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Well I'm referring to air intake passages, I noticed carbo deposites on 4 of them, 2 on the left head, and 2 on the right head opposite eachother.. they are totaly black and burnt up. EGR ok and PCV will be replaced too.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Like Tech said, take the heads to a qualified machine shop. They can tell you whether the valves need replacement or refinishing.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Put a straight edge on that block. It's aluminum and it CAN warp too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head gasket job