Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Don't celebrate yet. The water pump in this engine is buried deep inside and requires replacement of most of the drive mechanism for the overhead cams. It isn't a cheap or easy repair.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Thumbs up sebring water pump

Hi, I just talked to my Chrylser dealer on complaints about sludge in 2005-6 Sebrings. He advised that the water pump should be changed at 150000km. It appears the water pump seal in this car leaks and hence the gunk in the engine.
They also advise on changing the timing chain, but I think being a chain at 150k is NOT in my opinion a good expense I would undertake unless it was an issue.

As for the labour cost, I was quoted 7 hours labour @ $700 Canadian, plus $220 for pump, $ gaskets and antifreez. Total cost $1000 nearly.

I had a fuel pump replaced by Chrylser dealer at 50000Km and they charged $1000 also. Looks like everything they do is $1000. I could buy a new car at this rate.

My advise is if you are replacing the water pump, do NOT use a reconditioned pump. Buy a Brand New one, unless you want to do the job again in 150KM. The refurbised pumps last about 60-80000km. The new ones last longer, or supposed too 180000km.
Good luck, look forward to seeing the pictures you post & us kow how difficult itis to do this job. I will need to do the same soon.
Question, is the 2004 sebring configuration the same as 2006.
Gus
email gpatel416 ''at' gmail.com

Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laimon
well, i have a problem with tensioner, i pushed trying to purge oil and reset but it never comes back to normal .. should be replaced?
The tensioner will only move if the car engine is running. Otherwise it will not budge on this car. So many mechanics are telling customers to install in tensioners because they do not know how they work on some card.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 PM

thanks, water pump i will replace for sure..

but no smoke from the back. engine looks really new. so I think only head gasket blown .
guides will be changed too ..

any other hint ?

I'm just worried putting the engine back togather, I wanna know everything before i do so ..
When changing water pump, I have been told and see at the parts store a water pump lubricant that you pour in when adding antifreeze. They say it lubricates and makes punp last longer. I will try it for first time. Also do not use tap water, use distilled or deionised water $2 a gallon at drug store or car parts store. This reduces rust as it has less oxygen in it.
Gus

Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Hi

I just started dissassembling my 2.7l engine 2004, 60k miles for head gasket after I found that there is a leak to water jacket ( bubbles and black dirts in water container).

I'm already half the way, tomorrow I'm taking off timing chain and heads and would like to ask if someone has recommandation, tips, comments or warnings on this issue.

I found that water passeges are very dirty, is it possible to use some chemicals to clean and rinse?

other parts are really in good condition like chain, pulley and tensioner. no sludge, no worn parts.

i'll make pics later and post them .

thanks
Question: How difficult is it to take of timing chain and re install on Sebring 2006? I would like to do this job soon, but afraid of the chain as never doen before. I have changed corolla water pump, is this the same level or more complex?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

gee this is gonna be fun The sludge in the engine is not caused by leaking coolant it is caused by over heating, oil changes not being done,wrong oil weight.

The water pump lube is BS the water pump is a sealed bearing god help the engineer that made a water pump that was exposed to coolant which is 50% water ya think it would lock up on him due to rust??? humm yeah.

When u replace a water pump on a 2.7 replace the chain,guides,tensioner,water pump and front crank seal. ALso the valve cover gaskets,front timing cover gasket and if leaking the oil pans gasket. Also while u are there put a new thermostat in only 15 more min once all that stuff is removed any way.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:52 AM

It was not difficult as I haven't much experience with 2.7L ,but I did the job well. timing chain and tensioner were my main issue as I was afraid to skip a tooth. thanks god I had no trouble at all.

I replaced water pump without replacing chain, guides, tensioner. I was told by local chrysler tech that they are in good condition and no need to replace them.
I replaced all other seals, lower and upper manifold, chain cover seal, oil pan, head cover seal.

I didn't take out the engine, so you must be really patient :-) it is time consuming and some parts are hard to get to in such small space. i.e. tensioner !

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
gee this is gonna be fun The sludge in the engine is not caused by leaking coolant it is caused by over heating, oil changes not being done,wrong oil weight.

The water pump lube is BS the water pump is a sealed bearing god help the engineer that made a water pump that was exposed to coolant which is 50% water ya think it would lock up on him due to rust??? humm yeah.

When u replace a water pump on a 2.7 replace the chain,guides,tensioner,water pump and front crank seal. ALso the valve cover gaskets,front timing cover gasket and if leaking the oil pans gasket. Also while u are there put a new thermostat in only 15 more min once all that stuff is removed any way.
Hi, tell me on a 2006 Sebring 2.7( I have 80,000KM on it runs perfect- no issues) is is Mandatory to change the water pump at 150,000KM? I was advised by Dealer. This I have never heard of on other GM cars I owned, and they want $2000 nearly to do this. They say if you do not do this you will get gunk in engine and will destroy engine. I always do regular oil changes. What do you recommend? Have you yourself had to do any water pump replacements for 2.7 Sebring-2006?
Thanks again
Gus

Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

a 2.7 is a 2.7 My water pump on my 98 went out around 189k
U dont haft to do anything u dont want to do U were warned about replacing the water pump

Old 01-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Hi, Do you know how to switch off traction control on 2006 Sebring Touring?
thanks

Quick Reply: Head gasket job