Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Hello All - Fuse Grid

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Question Hello All - Fuse Grid

Hi everyone. New member here. Go by ABETRMAN, real name is Johnny.

I was hoping to get a little advice/direction from some of you owners as I am looking to make purchase of a new to me second vehicle to serve as my daily driver.

I found a sebring on CL for $1500 with relatively low miles (83K) but the owner says it needs a fuse grid. I did a search here on the forum and couldn't come up with any direction as to what this is or what is needed for the repair.

I am fairly handy and am willing to do repair work (replaced an engine on my old dodge stratus) but I want to know up front what I am getting in to. The owner said that a dealer quoted $350 for the repair. If it is something fairly difficult, that may be worth taking it to the dealer to do.

Anyway, I hope you all don't mind the lengthy story and question. Look forward to hearing back from you guys and hoping to have updates to provide once I purchase a neused sebring - be it this one or another.

Thanks in advance - Johnny

Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

fuse block is more then likely what they mean

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM

You didn't say anything about what year or model Sebring you are talking about, so we are all guessing here. Judging by the price I am assuming it's not a recent model which might have a TIPM ("totally integrated power module") which is quite costly. Earlier models have two fuse panels, one under the hood for handling power distribution (called the "power distribution center" - imagine that!) and one at the end of the instrument panel for lower level fuses called the "junction block"). If you can replace an engine you can probably handle replacing a fuse panel.

Keep in mind that Sebring coupes were built by Mitsubishi; sedans and convertibles were built by Chrysler. They are totally different cars with virtually no common parts.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
fuse block is more then likely what they mean
Thanks CT.

dcotter...my apologies for the lack of information. It is a 2002 vert. Thanks for that tidbit of information you gave. I had no idea that was the case.

I'm going to do some part searching. It may be worth a shot.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by abetrman
Thanks CT.

dcotter...my apologies for the lack of information. It is a 2002 vert. Thanks for that tidbit of information you gave. I had no idea that was the case.

I'm going to do some part searching. It may be worth a shot.
Actually...does any have a part number? Not have any luck with fuse panel on rockauto or car-part .com

Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

it wont be an aftermarket thing dealer only

Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM

You don't need a part number. There are several Chrysler dealerships that sell parts on line at a discount compared to the usual over-the-counter prices. You can look up the part by model, year and part name (see above) and let them worry about the number.

chryslerparts.net is one source, there are others.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Default Thanks for the responses

As my wife says, looks like I kicked the tires too long on this one. Missed out on it. I did find another one though that seems to be running rich. a '98 (non-convertible - no other info available at this time) with only 80k for $1000. I am doing some research on here to see if it is in my reach in terms on the repair. Owner says exhaust smells like gas and it runs rough.

I will be looking through other threads but if you have some pointers, please share.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Prior to 2001, the V-6 engines were Japanese: 2.5L and 3.0 L. They had timing belts rather than chains and distributors which were problematical. Some people havehad problems with sludge in the 2.7L engines which came along in 2001, but they had timing chains and no distributors. Some had waterpump problems in the 2.7L engines which caused havoc if the antifreeze leaked into the engine oil. Water pump replacement is a big deal in those engines because it's buried behind the timing chain.
A '98 Sebring non-convertible is almost certainly a coupe (Mitsubishi). I don't think they called the sedans "Sebrings" in that year.
If it's running so rich that you smell gas, the injectors are probably bad and the catalytic converter is likely ruined as well. caveat emptor.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Prior to 2001, the V-6 engines were Japanese: 2.5L and 3.0 L. They had timing belts rather than chains and distributors which were problematical. Some people havehad problems with sludge in the 2.7L engines which came along in 2001, but they had timing chains and no distributors. Some had waterpump problems in the 2.7L engines which caused havoc if the antifreeze leaked into the engine oil. Water pump replacement is a big deal in those engines because it's buried behind the timing chain.
A '98 Sebring non-convertible is almost certainly a coupe (Mitsubishi). I don't think they called the sedans "Sebrings" in that year.
If it's running so rich that you smell gas, the injectors are probably bad and the catalytic converter is likely ruined as well. caveat emptor.
Thanks for the history dcotter. Hadn't made a move on anything yet. In the midst of tearing apart my wife's saturn sc2. Need to get the crankshaft reground thanks to a spun rod bearing.