Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Question How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?

I've had my four-door '01 Sebring for three years. Covered about 30K miles so far. It's got a total of 100K miles. Had to replace A/C compressor a year ago because the bearing on it failed. Cost a fortune. Also front wheel bearings wore out about a year and a half ago. That was major repair in terms of cost also. But I've done my best to maintain the vehicle according to owners manual and my knowledge. I think it was cared for pretty well before my time too. Overall, there's a lot to like in it but some to dislike too.

I've read a lot online and heard from mechanics about engine design issues with 2.7L V6 Chrysler engines. Also read about unsuccessful timing chain and/or water pump replacements. I'm wondering how long this engine can last without timing chain or water pump failures, sludge, etc. What can I do to prevent that from happening? Am I in the "danger zone" having hit 100K miles? Also, any suggestions beyond owners manual as to how to extend this vehicle's life?

Last edited by starzz; 03-22-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

this is a loaded question that U will need to visit a palm reader or a fortune teller they will have better luck telling u when your car will crap out.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the quick post. Your answer speaks volumes against my fortunes.

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
this is a loaded question that U will need to visit a palm reader or a fortune teller they will have better luck telling u when your car will crap out.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I have a 98 concorde with a 2.7 has over 210k on it

Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Default Sebring

People talk allot about regular engine oil changes being required for long engine life from these engines. Also take a look at the inside of the oil filler cap, look for any foam or sludge there, if so replace your oil and the PCV valve and make sure the lines are not blocked up also. I use an engine flush about every 3rd oil change. Maintain proper oil level, some people like Lucas oil additive.
Have had many problems with my Sebring, have replaced - Front wheel bearings, Steering rack, Lower control arms, Rear strut mounts, Heater fan control unit, sway bar links, as well as normal stuff like brake rotors and pads front and rear including park brake , rear power window regulator cable rusted off, etc. the front end has rattled since it was new. Bought the optional rust coating with "lifetime warranty" have a rust hole, they will not fix it.
Good luck to you...

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
I have a 98 concorde with a 2.7 has over 210k on it
Wow, that's impressive!

Originally Posted by John Gander
People talk allot about regular engine oil changes being required for long engine life from these engines. Also take a look at the inside of the oil filler cap, look for any foam or sludge there, if so replace your oil and the PCV valve and make sure the lines are not blocked up also. I use an engine flush about every 3rd oil change. Maintain proper oil level, some people like Lucas oil additive.
Have had many problems with my Sebring, have replaced - Front wheel bearings, Steering rack, Lower control arms, Rear strut mounts, Heater fan control unit, sway bar links, as well as normal stuff like brake rotors and pads front and rear including park brake , rear power window regulator cable rusted off, etc. the front end has rattled since it was new. Bought the optional rust coating with "lifetime warranty" have a rust hole, they will not fix it.
Good luck to you...
I'll need to look into oil additives. Don't really know what they do or how they can help to be honest... But I do have a new PCV valve installed. The old one was in good shape too. And no signs of sludge from what my trusted mechanics are seeing.
P.S. I see this is your first post - welcome to the forum!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM

We bought our 04 Sebring Convertible new and I insisted on the Chrysler 7/100 0 deduct warranty.. My car is in the shop every month since NEW! No doubt, it's due to the idiots at the dealer (LITHIA). One of my pet peeves was, I was sold a "lifetime oil change" with the car. Once I discovered Lithia only uses Quaker State 10/30, I canceled my oil policy and have a independent shop use Valvoline 5/30 as the mfg suggests. I swear I will NOT own this car after 4/12 when my warranty expires. Since the blue book value on these has fallen through the floor (I think the car now books for $4,000 and my sticker price was $31,000) I will NEVER buy another Chrysler again! This is NO way as good as the NEW 69 Road Runner I bought new back in High School, which I drove the heck out of with no issues ever!
I have taken my car in for Struts since they started to make noise @30k miles. They say since there is no oil leaking they are still good. BS.. The convertible top has issues going up and down and is in the shop AGAIN as I type! They still have yet to fix it as they say it's normal! Im planning a 1800 mile trip in a few weeks and I would really hate to have the top stuck DOWN on my first day out.. This car has been nothing but a thorn in my side ever since we took delivery! No doubt, it most likely will get sold on Craigs List for "Best Offer" next year.. As for the condition, it still looks new, since we keep it garaged. The only time its ever left out over night is when it is at the dealer for repairs (every month).... My car is now 6 years old with 65k miles.. The ONLY failure that hasn't happened is the battery. Knock on wood, but it's still the original! My new Corvette battery has already been replaced and I bought it last September.. Sad days!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Sounds like a miserable ownership experience. Is your engine the 2.7L? You did not mention any problems with it. At least there's some good news. And, knock on wood, I have not had any issues with battery in three years either. Don't know how old it is...

Not that this helps much, but in my experience and from talking with others buying cars new and purchasing extended or any kind of warranties (which is what you kinda do buying new) is not very economical. My strategy is to buy used at the steepest discounts possible. (Chryslers and other Mopars can be a steal that way if you are patient in car search.) That sort of becomes the warranty as you set saved money aside for future repairs of an older vehicle. But this is quite off topic.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum - I hope you find help here.

Originally Posted by PBJOHNSON
We bought our 04 Sebring Convertible new and I insisted on the Chrysler 7/100 0 deduct warranty.. My car is in the shop every month since NEW! No doubt, it's due to the idiots at the dealer (LITHIA). One of my pet peeves was, I was sold a "lifetime oil change" with the car. Once I discovered Lithia only uses Quaker State 10/30, I canceled my oil policy and have a independent shop use Valvoline 5/30 as the mfg suggests. I swear I will NOT own this car after 4/12 when my warranty expires. Since the blue book value on these has fallen through the floor (I think the car now books for $4,000 and my sticker price was $31,000) I will NEVER buy another Chrysler again! This is NO way as good as the NEW 69 Road Runner I bought new back in High School, which I drove the heck out of with no issues ever!
I have taken my car in for Struts since they started to make noise @30k miles. They say since there is no oil leaking they are still good. BS.. The convertible top has issues going up and down and is in the shop AGAIN as I type! They still have yet to fix it as they say it's normal! Im planning a 1800 mile trip in a few weeks and I would really hate to have the top stuck DOWN on my first day out.. This car has been nothing but a thorn in my side ever since we took delivery! No doubt, it most likely will get sold on Craigs List for "Best Offer" next year.. As for the condition, it still looks new, since we keep it garaged. The only time its ever left out over night is when it is at the dealer for repairs (every month).... My car is now 6 years old with 65k miles.. The ONLY failure that hasn't happened is the battery. Knock on wood, but it's still the original! My new Corvette battery has already been replaced and I bought it last September.. Sad days!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 AM

Correct.. No major problems with my 2.7 yet, but I know it's only a matter of time.. I did forget to mention that the one time the dealer did my oil change, they left the fillrt cao sitting on top and when they dropped the hood, it was like a cookie cutter in the insulation. I was lucky it didnt dimple the hood. We didnt catch the missing cap for a week, but not until I took a 200 mile trip, then the wife pulled out of the garage the next morning and we had a puddle of oil on the floor. (the wife said he smelled the oil burning, but I wasn't home) She took the car to the dealer and when the dealer opened the hood, it was completely covered with oil. Then, they called me later that day to inform me of the issue along with blaming ME for the missing cap. I drove over to the dealer and looked at the car, explained that I have not opened the hood in months. THEY were the last ones. They tried to charge me to steam clean the mess and for a NEW oil cap. Then, I looked at the hood and saw it sticking in the insulation. Needless to say, the charge was on them along with the rental car.. My 2.7 IS now leaking from what looks like the main seal. They have put dye in the oil to see where its coming from, yet they have only attempted to tighten bolts, rather than replace a failed gasket/seal. Right now, it is just a drip, but before my 100k/7 year extended warranty is over, it WILL be replaced.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Default its always a matter of time

Its always a matter of time for a car engine in any car. Got an 01 sebring with about 94k on it now. Works like a champ. No major problems at all and the engine still runs fine.

Quick Reply: How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?