Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7L oil light on and off

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Default 2.7L oil light on and off

A friend of mine bought a 2005 Sebring Convertible with 137k miles on it. He has checked the oil and it is to the correct level and has for the last 5 months he has had it. It hasn't had any stuttering or anything so far. Now he is starting to have problems.

He starts up the car and drives it for about 25 miles one way on the highway. When he pulls off the highway and is in stop and go traffic, the oil light comes on. As soon as he pulls away from the light, the light goes off. He let's it sit for a few hours and starts up and has no problem with the light until he gets home and the light goes on and off like I described earlier. He says from time to time he smells a funny odor when he gets home and into the garage but not all the time.

I am thinking it is engine sludge. He has had the sensor replaced and it is still doing it. The mechanic said that he could not see any oil leak but the engine was filthy. Shortly thereafter the engine was cleaned and still shows no sign of leak.

Your thoughts?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

did he clean out the oil pressure switch the plug if it was leaking inside the plug?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM

I do not know. I showed this to him and he will ask his mechanic.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM

Yes, the switch was cleaned out

Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Maybe the oil pressure is ACTUALLY low. Might want to consider putting on an actual oil pressure gauge and see what the readings are. When engines or oil pumps wear out, they can't maintain oil pressure at low RPM.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Smile

HTML Code:
When he pulls off the highway and is in stop and go traffic, the oil light comes on. As soon as he pulls away from the light, the light goes off.
I have that same problem with my 1998 JXI 2.5L that has been rebuilt, before and after....lol
I have had a few backyard mechanics try to figure it out with no luck either?
The senior tech suggests to hook up a mechanical gauge, I suggest to permanently mount it inside your car for peace of mind!
Hopefully its not the oil pump? but you got to remember chrysler didn't build these cars to last forever
I'm curious to know what the real problem is?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM

I had the same problem with my 2002 Sebring, 2.7 engine. I replaced the oil pressure switch (sending unit) and that corrected the light flicker at idle. I replaced it about 6 weeks ago and so far so good!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Default 2002 sebring

I have a 2002 chryler sebring, the oil light has been coming on and off for a while, now it has quit coming on at but has started leaking oil all over the exaust, it started leaking when the oil light stopped coming on, are these 2 things related ?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

no one online can tell u where an oil leak is coming from

Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM

I Asked if they could be related

Quick Reply: 2.7L oil light on and off