Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Just bought a 2005 Sebring, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Default Just bought a 2005 Sebring, need some help

Hello CF,
Last night I purchased a 2005 Sebring 2.4 sedan from my mom. The seller told me it needed new motor mounts since it makes a loud rattle when at idle periodically. Also it has a CEL on. Codes are P0491 and P0300 X2.

P0491 says secondary air system bank 1(is this the 02 sensor)
P0300 is misfire. Might be due to 02 sensor but will be doing a tune up just incase its a spark plug.

Motor mount issue, I was able to visually look at the front and back motor mount and saw no movement and seemed to be in tack. Where are the other 2 mounts located? How hard of a job is it? Seeing pictures of the part seems like it could be it due to the design of the motor mount.

Anyone with information on how to fix these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

P0491-air injection system performance
possible causes
good trip equal to zero
visual and physical inspection of the air injection system
asd relay output circuit
maf sensor internal failure
maf signal circuit shorted to asd relay output circuit
maf signal circuit shorted to battery voltage
maf signal circuit open
maf signal circuit shorted to ground
maf signal circuit shorted to (k4) sensor ground circuit
sensor ground circuit open
pcm

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Default maf sensor

I have been trying to find the maf sensor, anyone able to point me in the right direction. The manual says its under the air filter housing but didnt see anything.
I see photos of the part but cant find it on the car.

thanks in advance

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

the map sensor is to the right of the alternator on the intake

Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM

Map sensor, the small sensor on the left of the intake connected by 2 screws? Small tube that goes into the intake? That's the MAP sensor or the Mass air. Flow sensor? I am looking for the Mass air flow sensor.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Chrysler does not use mass air flow sensors
it has something to do with the air injection which down south we dont use

Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Default flex disk

So I took it to the dealer to get checked out, they say its my flex disk that is cracked causing the timing to go off which is why I have a tremble. How hard of a job is this? Is this a DIY?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Real easy job once you get the transmission out. Removing the transmission might prove to be a little tricky for a DIYer. How sure are you of the diagnosis? Did they show you the crack?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 PM

I did not have a chance to go look at it. They were sure enough to want to charge a grand to fix it. They said that was the only thing they could find, and that the cam shaft readings were erratic which could be due to the flywheel. Now I might go down there before they put it back together to see it. I did read the manual and it seems all the work is removing the transmission. After that its 3 bolts it seems lol.

cars current symptoms are rough idle, need to keep the hose from the pcv valve off in order to drive the car. If i connect it back it will choke and die. Seems to be starving of air. Runs decent when the throttle is open.

They also said the timing belt jumped 1 link which could be due to the flex plate.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Doesn't seem logical that the camshaft readings would be erratic because of a problem with the flywheel. I would suspect crankshaft readings to be off. They do work together but I would still expect crank readings would show up first.
I'd want to be very sure before undertaking this job that the diagnosis is correct.
Have you replaced the pcv valve?
The flywheel is at the opposite end of the engine from the timing belt. I don't see the relationship between those two problems.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2005 Sebring, need some help