Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

p0489 p0499 help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Default p0489 p0499 help!

Hi i have a 2002 sebring conv with 2.7 v6 and ive been having some electrical problems so i was checking the fuses/relay i pulled the low radfan relay and got the check engine light. I read the codes and got those both codes. I didnt have the SES light before so pulling the relay is what caused it. Any help what possible it could be?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 PM

This makes no sense. Neither of those codes relate to the fan. They are emissions codes. Problems with the fan should set different codes. Are you sure you read/recorded them correctly? Does replacing the relay make them go away? Are you sure you pulled the correct relay and did not bollux anything else up in the process?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 AM

My bad. Codes are P1489 P1490. I got this SES light after i pulled out the low and high rad fan relays. And because now the fan doesnt run at all. But the car is not overheating which leads to me believe i have a stuck open thermostat.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM

Those are exactly the codes you should expect when you pull the fan relays. Plug them back in and I would expect the codes to go away.

"But the car is not overheating which leads to me believe i have a stuck open thermostat." The fans are not designed to be running all the time. They only run when needed. In cold weather, they don't run much, if at all. Just because the fans aren't running you should not assume you have a problem. Likewise, just because the car is not overheating in cold weather without the fans running you should not assume that there is something wrong with the thermostat.
If the thermostat is stuck open, the car will warm up very slowly. That will be detected by the computer and it will set its own fault code for that.
So far, you have not described any abnormal behavior or indication that the car is having any problem with the fans or cooling. Put it back together and if a real problem comes up, come back and tell us about it.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:40 PM

All i did was pull them out and them back. The codes are still there. Ive tried to clear codes but come back right away. If i pull the high and put it back on the fan starts working but cant get the the low speed to work.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Did you damage either the relay or the socket in the process? The fan turning on immediately is its failure mode. If the computer detects something wrong with the circuit, it will try to turn the fans on to make sure there is some cooling as a safety factor. If the system is working properly, neither fan should come on until the coolant temperature nears overheating.