Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

PCM for Sebring, reprogramming options?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Default PCM for Sebring, reprogramming options?

My 2001 Sebring is giving code P0601 and I'm wondering about the option of purchasing a reprogrammed PCM off of ebay or a different 3rd party provider, rather than using the dealership/Mopar to buy the part.

It's about $500 in savings, but that money could disappear quickly if these parts aren't worth it and means spending even more money to re-do it.

I'm hoping someone out there can supply information on the pros & cons of going with a remanufactured PCM vs buying a new one from the dealership, or let me know what their experiences have been.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 AM

If you ever do need a PCM, this place is a good deal. No exchange, all reprogrammed with the latest software and your VIN and a lifetime warranty. They charge around $250, depending on the car. http://www.allcomputerresources.com/

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM

No exchange, all reprogrammed with the latest software and your VIN and a lifetime warranty.
Ok ...I'll bite....NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the dealer, buy a PCM and have them install and Program it. You'll be much happier in the end.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM

I bought one of those re-programmed computers for my 2001 Sebring off a service on eBay. It cost about $200 three years ago. You had to give them your VIN and odometer reading. They shipped the replacement computer and included return postage for the core. It worked perfectly as soon as I plugged it in and has worked perfectly ever since. They provided a telephone number to call with any questions. I was very satisfied with the service. I figured I saved about $1000 over going to the dealer.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 PM

One thing they CAN'T do is the SKIM codes and matching the modules (IF it has SKIM) Let's not forget PINION FACTOR also. Otherwise your speedo no worky!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM

One thing they CAN'T do is the SKIM codes and matching the modules (IF it has SKIM) Let's not forget PINION FACTOR also. Otherwise your speedo no worky!
Shhhhhh........ Your ruining any chance of diag Time

On a lighter note...TN is absolutely correct....

PCM's Are no longer plug n play by any means

From My experience, 601 doesnt happen by itself......And a competent tech is required to find the root cause of the failure....No parts store, dealer or internet vendor has EVER accepted returns on electrical parts, so Once its yours, you are Stuck with it.

I thought it was against Forum policy to "Peddle Your Wares"???? Isnt that called...Um..Idont Know...Uh...SPAM!!!????

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
My convertible has the Sentry Key Immobilizer System which incorporates the SKIM. It works quite well with the exchange PCM. Speedo works fine too. Apparently these guys who re-program the computer have access to vehicle data through the VIN and can do the programming properly. I'm quite sure your local junkyard will be of no assistance in that regard.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Default Re-flash sebring 2005

I've had a yellow engine warning light for about a month now. There dosen't seem to be anything wrong with my car.
I took it to Autozone and had them printout the error code:

Definition:
Code P1604 indicates that with the ignition on the PCM detected an internal programming error.

Error Codes Read:
P1604 PCM Internal Dual-Port Ram Read/Write Integrity Failure
P1604 PCM Internal Dual-Port Ram Read/Write Integrity Failure
(it printed that twice)
P0700 Automatic Transmission Control System Malfuction (My transmission seems to be working fine.)
P0613 Internal TCM error

My question is why does there seem to be no problem with my car and yet I'm getting this error code?
And could someone please give me an approximate cost to have this taken care of?

Thanks, I'm mortified I tells ya!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM

When the computer detects an internal problem, it can compensate for it by making certain rational assumptions and allowing the car to operate based on those assumptions rather than actual information. Your car may seem to be operating normally but it won't be getting the best possible fuel economy, performance and least possible emissions.
The P0700 code indicates that the transmission computer has error codes stored in it. The parts store code reader may not be sophisticated enough to be able to retrieve those actual codes.
You can google those codes and find out some more information about them. Since the car is operable, you can take it to various shops for repair estimates. Learn all you can ahead of time so you can discuss it intelligently with the repair people. If replacement of one or more of the car's computers is necessary, research the services that are on the web for the best service/price. Physically replacing the computer is relatively easy.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:18 PM

dcotter0579
Thank you very much for your help in understanding the situation better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM for Sebring, reprogramming options?