Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Bergen County NJ - Need Mechanic

Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Default Bergen County NJ - Need Mechanic

Well, things are not working out too well for the 2004 Sebring Convertible that I bought for my Son. Titled it on Monday and by Tuesday evening we were sitting on the side of the NJ Turnpike waiting for a tow truck. The water pump is shot, and after getting the car towed to Ramsey NJ, I need to find a mechanic to do the work. I called the local dealer, who told me that they wanted 17 hours at $135 per!. I think that is 'dealer-speak' for 'we don't want to do that job'.

Anyhow, looking for recommendations for a competent mechanic in or near my area. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Sorry to hear of the big problem your car has. But if it has the 2.7 motor..That is about "par for the course"! It's a huge labor intensive job to do as the timing chains and just about the whole end of the motor has to come apart to get to the water pump! Yes an independent shop may be a little lower on labor rates, but don't expect HUGE savings.
And sorry, being located near Buffalo, NY..I can't help on a tech/shop near you....Good luck!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
Sorry to hear of the big problem your car has. But if it has the 2.7 motor..That is about "par for the course"! It's a huge labor intensive job to do as the timing chains and just about the whole end of the motor has to come apart to get to the water pump! Yes an independent shop may be a little lower on labor rates, but don't expect HUGE savings.
And sorry, being located near Buffalo, NY..I can't help on a tech/shop near you....Good luck!
Thanks. When I bought the car the previous owner mentioned that he though it needed a water pump, I just didn't expect it to happen so soon and so suddenly. Before I bought the car, I did a search to see what it might run. I saw estimates ranging from 450 to over 800, and I was OK with that. Car has 103k on it and stuff wears out.

I was even OK when it all hit the fan so quickly. Crummy night, but we survived and got the car to our hometown. But what blew me away was the dealer wanting over 2k in labor!

I did find one shop that I might use. He said the book rate for the job was 8 hours labor, which I expected. Unfortunately he comes to me as a recommendation from someone who was recommended to me, but didn't want the job.

Perhaps someone on the forum is near enough to me to jump in, otherwise I have no alternative than to use the guy I found.