Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring 2004 Sedan - Realistic longevity before death or major repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Default Sebring 2004 Sedan - Realistic longevity before death or major repair?

I realize no one has a crystal ball, but anyone with prior experience w/ this vehicle that can chime in would be great.

Getting ready to hit the dreaded 100K. Need new tires and rear brakes soon... with some other misc. issues as well (P0440), wondering if now is the time to pull the plug and trade in.

Outside of the timing belt -- haven't run into anything major... yet.

Engine still runs smooth, car starts great, shifts great. Gas mileage is a bit down and sounds a bit rough when I shut it off, but otherwise good. It does burn a little oil, but nothing major. Not aware of any leaks.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM

So you have had the timing belt (waterpump, tensioner etc.) replaced already? If so, another significant service would be a tune up (plugs and wires). After that you should be good for many more miles. I Have 167k on my 2001 2.5L and it is going strong.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

replace the timing belt b4 it brakes then not an issue =)

Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
replace the timing belt b4 it brakes then not an issue =)
Did the timing belt, tensioners and water pump at about 85K. Belt broke at a stop sign, no damage.

Plugs and wires, camshaft sensor just prior to that.

Only thing really pending is P0440, which is probably NVLD.. and if I can get it to pass inspection again won't bother. Other minor things... front tires, blower resistor... could use an alignment most likely. Got some odd wear on the outer edge of my passenger tire, but it was ridden low on periodically (Corrosion built up over time and messed with bead seal).. so not sure if it was this or camber/suspension issues. Was losing about 5PSI a week.. so would just fill it up every two weeks... laziness.

Been reading a bit and seems I am overdue for transmission problems. Only changed fluid once at about 80K. Wasn't having problems prior and haven't had problems since. Burns oil as well, but quite honestly.. it has done this for years and years. Don't see any leaks and hasn't gotten worse.

Last edited by ManuteSwol; 04-16-2013 at 07:43 PM.