Go Back   Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums > Chrysler Vehicles > Chrysler Sebring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Serpentine belt tensioner 2.7L engine

Hi everyone! I was going to try to replace my serpentine belt. I had the inner wheel liner removed, and was trying to take tension off of the belt to remove it. I read that I was supossed to loosen the bolt that sits just under the belt and then use a 1/2" breaker bar to rotate the tensioner clockwise to take off the tension. When I tried to move the tensioner it seemed to be frozen stuck. Does this mean this tensioner is bad? If I need to remove it, is that bolt below the belt the only thing holding the the tensioner on? I took a quick look and can't seem to find a tensioner short of going to a dealer. I appreciate any help or suggestions you may have.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on ChryslerForum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tensioner1.JPG (92.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Termite; 06-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
2002 Chrysler Sebring
My Garage

There's a locking bolt and a pivot bolt. You have loosened the pivot bolt. Find the locking bolt above the pulley, loosen it and you'll be able to pivot the tensioner and finish the job. With a good light and some contortioning, you can see the locking bolt from above. "See" does not suggest "get to" however.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Default Tensioner

Thanks for the info dcotter0579. I will try again next weekend when I get a chance. Hopefully I will be able to get to it. Than after that, I will try to figure out the power steering belt loosening/adjustment.

Last edited by Termite; 06-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Tensioner

It is probably a dumb question, but does this tensioner have it's own spring, so I only have to lock it down after the spring puts the belt into position? Only because the tensioners I have seen before have the spring alone keep the belt tight.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
2002 Chrysler Sebring
My Garage

You supply the tension using that 1/2 inch square hole and your breaker bar or wrench. While holding the tension, tighten the locking bolt and pivot bolt.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Tensioner

Thanks again for your help Dcotter0579.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Default Tensioner update

I found and loosened the lock bolt (left of the pulley) and got the belt off to find the one I got from the store was too long. After getting a closer fit I got the new belt on and all is fine The old belt had a lot of cracks and one point where they all lined up so I was glad to get it replaced. The power steering belt did not look too bad, so I thought I would wait a while for when I check to see if I needed to retension the large belt to maybe see about it . I also took a picture of the power steering, and will have to figure out what bolts need to be loosened to get that belt off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tensioner 1.JPG (41.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Belt1.JPG (24.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Pwr str.JPG (36.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Termite; 06-25-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM
2002 Chrysler Sebring
My Garage

Good pix and write-up. If you feel ambitious, you might create an album here on the forum in the form of a "How-to" for others to find and follow. These threads tend to get lost after a while. Maybe if enough people create "how-to" albums, the Admins might set up a special place in the albums for them.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM

i wish i could see the pictures this thread sounds pretty to me, i hhave the same problem and its pissing my off haha
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM

Tags
2002, 27, 27l, belt, change, chrysler, crysler, dodge, drive, engine, liter, sebring, serpentine, tension, tensioner