Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

transmission hard downshift

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Default transmission hard downshift

I replaced the filter in my transmission today for a 2002 2.7 liter sebring sedan LXI. I am now experiency a hard downshift at about 25 or 26 MPH, other than that all the shifting is smooth and normal. This only started after the fluid (ATF+4) and filter change. There was not any other work done on the car and was very routine service, the fluid level is fine. Any suggestions?, Could a solenoid pack fail because of a fluid change? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim

Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM

"Could a solenoid pack fail because of a fluid change?" Not likely.
If you disconnected the battery recently, that could have caused to transmission computer to reset requiring a period of "relearning". If the problem persists after a few days of normal driving, your best bet is to get it in to a place with very good diagnosting equipment to begin by reading transmission codes, and then possibly doing a hydraulic check to see what's going on in there.
The problem is that diagnostic work will probably cost more than replacing the solenoid pack on a DIY basis, so while throwing parts at a problem is not generally a good route, it might be warranted here.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM

I had disconnected the battery for about 10 min to force a relearn after I drove the car for a few miles with the hard downshift. Was hoping that that would fix it. I have not put a lot of miles on it yet out, I will drive for a few days to see if it will smooth out. I also have read about a Quick Learn dealer procedure. I would find this kind of troublesome if it is necessary after a fluid change (Kind of hard to swallow that this would be needed). ANY THOUGHTS IN THIS? This was a very routine pan and filter change without any other components being touched. I will cross my fingers that a few days driving will smooth out before I throw any money to it. Not ready to get rid of the car yet, it is just to fun to drive.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Common issue after fluid change. Give it 100 miles or so to relearn it should get better. There is a way to make it happen quicker but need access to a DRB III (dealer tool)

Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM

According to this http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...20Shifting.pdf disconnecting the batteries won't help.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Over due update-

I drove the care for a couple hundred miles and the down shifting was not improving. Called the dealer to inquire about the quick learn and they want BIG $$$. I called a local transmission shop and the owner talked with me a while. He said that after the fluid was changed it may have calibrated with an air bubble in the system, which threw out the calibration points so far that the car could not recover from them. I took my car to the local guy and he did his magic with the TCM. He only charged me $30 and the car is down shifting perfect.

Thanks for the advice in this forum, it has been very helpful keeping my 2002 Sebring running strong.