Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission + MAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Default Transmission + MAP

Ok, I am completely lost, dont know what to do. Situation: was going to the lake with friends, then after 50 km stopped by the shop. Then started the car, seems good, then turned to D position and... Nothing happened. Like it would be in N. Put some RPS (to about 1500) and suddenly car moved. Stooped at the lake, while parked tried positions R and D, but in both ways should keep RPM at higher lever to start driving. And that start was with strong bump. Somehow parked, and did not touched the car till next day evening. Tried to start the engine and it was not starting. The start iself was good, as usual, a faction of second rotating with starter, then engine starts to rotate by itself and immediately stops. Tried several times, every time the same. Then at that moment when engine runs that second or so before stopping I pushed the pedal to increase RPM and it worked - engine was working. But if I release the pedal it stops. Well, it was nothing to do I thought I can at least come back home, but then the strangest thing - I put the lever to R, increased RPM to 1500 expecting the bump and nothing. The car started to move very very very slightly when RPMs was at redline. It couldn't even climb into the small hill. And after 100 m driving to that hill the engine naturally became red hot (ambient temp about 31 oC). Ok, stopped the car, closed and took a bus home. But what happened? Ok, engine could have starting issue because of MAP (had P1400 several times before). Can MAP influence the gear box or something that could make gear box not work? Or should I take this as two separate malfunctions? By the way - OBD does not indicated any error. At the repair shop they said its relays and not the car sometimes works sometimes not bla bla bla, but I understood that they know nothing and drove home. After a week (today) I noticed the same thing. Started (OK), stopped after 20 meters, then started, lets say it was OK, put a lever to D and nothing again. Put it to P and connected the computer to scan faults (MIL was not lit) and there were no faults, but P and R was not working. You know that feeling when you hold the brake pedal, put to D and there is that transmission sound and slight move, showing that engine is connected to the wheels... So, there were no that thing. So, disappointed I turned off the computer, put the shift lever to D hoping for nothing and (damn!) it was working normally again. So, what is going on and what too look for ? By the way - transmission oil (etc.) is changed, so its not the cause.

And the MAP. There is no difference in engine work at idle no matter if I disconnect it or connect it back. So, MAP is dead I guess?