Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Default transmission question

can anyone tell me if the sebring auto trans is a go unit or prone to problems? i had a lebaron a few years ago and i did not yet have problems with it but the general consensus was they were junk. at around 120k they would die. i sold the car with 70k on it for other reasons but was thinking about getting a sebring, but i don't need to by another potential trans problem. yea cars have trans problems but the lebaron went out of it's way to have trans problems, don't need to get another one. thanks bp.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Nobody can predict whether a particular unit will go a million miles or fail next week, but as a general rule, if you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM

not really what i asked. at the end of my question i said that. what i want to know is if the sebring automatic transmission is prone to failure?

you can say the same thing about the chrysler lebaron then discover 90% of the cars have transmission problems. the transmission in that car has the designation of a604 and they have so many problems that the lebaron people now call them the a sick oh 4 . so i asked if the sebring has the same issues. thanks bp.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM

I have owned two of them and the only transmission problem they have had was a leaky solenoid pack on both of them. It was a one-hour DIY repair for well under $100.
Browse through the forum here for transmission complaints. There are a few.
Most of the people on the forum here are owners whose experience is with a limited number of vehicles: basically, their own.
Their are some techs here who see vehicles with complaints. They don't hear from people without complaints.
The Sebring transmission is called the 41Te.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
I have owned two of them and the only transmission problem they have had was a leaky solenoid pack on both of them. It was a one-hour DIY repair for well under $100.
Browse through the forum here for transmission complaints. There are a few.
Most of the people on the forum here are owners whose experience is with a limited number of vehicles: basically, their own.
Their are some techs here who see vehicles with complaints. They don't hear from people without complaints.
The Sebring transmission is called the 41Te.
thanks. that is why i asked. from the lebaron forum site most of those owners had Chrysler cars before the lebaron and after and the lebaron was bad in the transmission area. but most all the other Chrysler they complained about there transmissions also. and i see so many now on craigs list with around the 100k to 200k miles it scares me thinking they to have the transmission problems and are just peddling them off to pass the bad transmissions off on someone else. did a research on the 41te and it seems after 2001 they did make the necessary improvments. so if i get a sebring it will be a later model. thanks. bp.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 PM

The 41TE is a pretty weak transmission. It's only got a torque rating of 1 from the factory. If you don't take very good care of it, it will not take good care of you. Make SURE you are using ATF +4 in it. The solenoid pack is a very common issue, but it's a nice cheap, simple fix. You can do it yourself if you're handy with a wrench. All in all, it's a perfectly fine transmission, you just have to be nice to it and take good care of it, because if you don't, POOF.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM

thanks for that information it sounds like the a604 transmission and all they did was revamp a few things and sent. i have been looking for another convertible for the summer and there ares a lot of sebrings for sale and when i got the lebaron there were a tone of them and on the lebaron forum they said the transmissions were junk. they failed at 120k a lot. so it looks like i will steer clear of this type of car as well. i see a lot of them with 140 to 200k on them so that must be about the time they puke. thanks

Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't discredit the car because of it, just keep an eye on the transmission. If people didn't buy the cars because of the 41TE transmission, Chrysler wouldn't have sold most of the cars in the late eighties to the 2000's. Lol

Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM

not necessarily true the lebaron had the same issues and sold them from 87 to 95 . problem is most people do not know about the issues utill the cars have hudreds of thousands of miles on them and then when they see the problem becoming an issue start dumping the cars. when you see real nice looking cars with all around the same miles on them for sale all around the country then something has to be going on with them. a few years ago it was the lebaron. i had 2 of them and the 87 was about to have problems and the 95 only had 60k on it so i was not worried but i sold it because it had a check engine light on problem that i could not get rid of and it drove me nuts so i sold it. and yes i told the new owner. it did not cause any driving issues only poorer mileage issues and i could not stand it. but getting back to the transmissions you don't really know until years down the road. and it is years down the road for that car and that is why i asked the forum.