Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Car Drives, Stutters and Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Angry Car Drives, Stutters and Stalls

Ok, I've got a 1998 Sebring LXI (6 cyl). After driving perfectly, one day it just died and would not start. Took it to a machanic and it drove fine for about a day. Now it starts fine, however it will just shut off about two times before I can start driving it. After that it will progressively loose power and start to lurch (rpm needle will go from 2K to 4K all of a sudden) and then stutters a bit, sometimes the car will loose rpms totally, and then kick back in. Now it does all of the above and stalls out while I'm driving. I've searched the most of the forums out there including this one and it seems there are a lot of Sebring owners that have this problem, however I haven't found a solution to this problem. I've changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap,fuel filter, tested the fuel pump (good), changed the valve cover gaskets, TPS, Crank sensor, map sensor and the computer with no change. Can someone give me an idea of where to try next, or if you've had this issue, how did you solve it. This is frustrating

Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Seems like most of the problems from that engine get solved when the distributor gets replaced by a good quality replacement. The ignition coil and camshaft position sensor are built into the distributor and if either of those gets bad, it causes problems.
It's a big investment that you might not want to make in a car that's going on 15 years old, so check for codes first.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM

I have the same year model and have the same problem; it start happening in the past month.
Initial start of the day, my car will stall out, takes a few times to start & run normal. I've been starting it up and letting it idle, engines dies a couple times and then evidently will keep running. Afterwards it will start & run fine for the rest of the day.

Took it to a few auto repair shops & none could figure it out. No codes given. And some of the items you replaced I've already replaced in the last year or so (spark plugs, wires, valve cover gasket). Two shops told me to take it to a Chrysler dealer for a diagnostic check and go from there.

Took it to a dealer service shop & today was told the distributor needs to be replaced. So, tomorrow I'm taking it to another shop for the repair (dealer was going to charge $1400 or so).

Hopefully this works.