Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Won't go foward but will in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Default Won't go foward but will in reverse

Hello there. Once again this wonderful new car that I have owned less that three months now wont go foward in any gear...but it will in reverse. It almost feels as if the breaks are on when in foward gears but they are not. I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring Signature Series with the 2.7 engine. It threw the codes P0700 as well as P0871 (trans fluid pressure sensor/switch C Circuit range performance.) Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 AM

A 2005 is not a "new" car. It's now nine years old. Since you just bought it you probably have no idea whether or not it has been properly maintained. You didn't indicate its mileage but if the transmission has not been properly maintained, it could have some serious issues by now.
The P0700 code is a generic transmission code that tells you there will be transmission fault code(s) stored in the computer. You'll need to get a more sophisticated code reader to access those code(s). Most transmission shops will be able to do that. Getting the codes is the place to start. Go from there.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Clearly I was using the word "new" to describe the car being new to me. I am aware the car is not new. But thanx for pointing that out.

Anyways I listed the other code in my post; you should have noticed...Its being towed to the place I bought it at tomorrow since I can not drive it anywhere.

I was looking for some things to try out since the car is just sitting there. It has 97450 miles on it.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:46 PM

P0871 Chrysler OD Pressure Switch Rationality Fault OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Might be something cheap, might be something expensive. Somebody's going to need to get in there and look at it. Make sure the shop doesn't start with the most expensive thing first.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Thank you for your input; it is greatly appreciated. I had it towed last night to the place I bought it at.

He told me if it does need another transmission installed he will only charge me a total of $500 for the tranny and labor since I just bought the car. I though that was a excellent price.

We even went online and I got to choose the transmission I wanted. Granted its used but this one only has 35000 miles on it. Hopefully I have it back today and I will post an update when I get it back as to what the issue is.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 PM

Hello. Well I was just told that it will need a new transmission. He said that they should have it back to me by Thursday if not sooner. He was unable to really tell me what happened inside but; since it just went from drive, to park (I parked it to get the mail in my driveway), then drive, and did nothing, I believe a clutch plate gave out. I swear I smelt burning rubber as well but not from the engine.

Hmmm......I wonder if this was the reason for poor gas millage all along.....

Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Given that you had it nearly 3 months, I think that his offer was fair to both of you.
Glad that it is getting fixed quickly.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Here is an update.

Ended up getting the car on Saturday and am very satisfied with the results. They ended up replacing the transmission, replaced the left control arm (right control arm and tie-rod replaced two weeks prior), gave the transmission a new filter and fluid, and its been shifting better than it has since I have owned it. I also feel this was the reason I was getting only 14mpg. Now its reading over 19mpg. Total cost was $596.00.

I also finally got around to putting new NGK G-power spark plugs in my car as we had nice weather for a change.

Its very nice to know that there are still some honest dealers out there who stand behind their cars they sell. I will buy my next car from them.