Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
View Poll Results: Have you had this problem? What was the final diagnosis/repair fix?
Wiring
0%
Ecm
0%
Instrument Cluster issue
0%
Other
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

02 Town & Country Stalls and dies while driving, idles rough

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:30 AM
Default 02 Town & Country Stalls and dies while driving, idles rough

I've spent SO much time looking through forums but never found a specific answer so here goes: I have a 2002 3.3L flex fuel T&C (230k miles and no egr) that stalled out and died completely when driving. Got codes (intermittently) for cam sensor which I replaced (eng light had been going on and off previously for an emissions recirc something or other). Got it back in the expressway (was out of town of course) and it died again...restarted it and got it almost off the exit ramp and it died again, only this time it wouldn't restart, and the gauges were spinning and the dash flashing. Looked like the battery was leaking, so replaced that and it drove fine for 5 minutes, then died upon take off crossing a busy street (yikes!). No other codes, and on a diagnostic test drive, the car died, again, no codes. Replaced the cam sensor, but it still dies repeatedly after about 5 minutes of driving and has a very rough idle.

Been told the next step is replacing the ECM which I found for $100 with a lifetime warranty on eBay, but told mine might not be bad. Should I have all the wiring checked or replaced first or is there anything else I should check? How many wires are there and how expensive is it? Also one other funny thing a out it is the ignition tumbler is messed up to where you can remove the key while the engines on...wondering if THAT could be related? Just can afford to dump a ton of money into this...any help is appreciated!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:37 AM

You replaced the Cam sensor for a reason but what about the Crank sensor which can cause this rough running and shutting down. Course fuel maybe the issue, like air in fuel or pump intermittently running. Just reading about another type of car, not Chrysler, where they had same issues as you. Throwing money at it yet again. Their problem was traced to the fuse box (CRD issue) where the track card and contacts on the bottom were contaminated if that's the right word. It even threw up the flashing gauges as well but no change with new battery.