Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.5 crd cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM

have no error codes

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Hi spynuts,

after much hair pulling it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. the best way to tell is to wait untill the car stops then turn the car over and see if there is a small deflection on the rev counter. if there is no deflection then the crankshaft sensor is to blame.

hope this helps mate.
any other probs i would be happy to help.
chris

Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM

also this does not throw any error codes.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Good clue there Lentec, about the little blip on the revcounter during cranking for a good sensor. These tips are vital to saving a lot of wasted time and money. But be aware the other sensor (camshaft) has a habit of going u/s at about the same time. From what I read here, the problem appears to be shorted turns giving a low OHMs reading -- not bad enough to defeat the micro's input circuit*, but enough to make it intermittent. Your comment about the fault not producing an errorcode is noted -- the rationale here being -- don't rely on the automated system in the micro. Use one's brain as well.

Leedsman.
* Many analog input cuicuits have a "clean-up" system turning the input from some kind of distorted sinewave into a 'clean' squarewave. It works by hugely amplifying the input wave, then chopping off the top and bottom giving a peak to peak of 5volt to make a squarewave. Thusly, this cleanup circuit will tolerate low and distorted input UP TO A POINT. The micro. only looks for frequency of the input, not its amplitude, same as FM radio. Frequency then equates to RPM. Now I come to think about it, an oscilloscope should be able to check the amplitude of both sensors to see if they are up to scratch without any dismantling. Maybe even a digital voltmeter on ACvolts might do. Someone would have to send in such a reading for recording in the "stock-faults" file...

Last edited by Leedsman; 07-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 AM

Sorry about slow update but its amazing how they never break down when u want them to but any how finaly cut out and sure enough rev counter absolute still when cranking order new sensor will let u know on progress the tip on the rev counter was a gem thnk you guys

Old 11-13-2021, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
You mention 10 miles then cuts out. So its heat related as in heat is causing a component to not send proper info to ECU. I'd go for sensors cam and crankshaft.
Hi All i am new to the forum, I had the same problem with my journey cutting out, i took it a garage went through everything with fuel and electrics, still no resolve,
after a year of putting up with it i decided to methodically go through everything myself and found it to be fuel pressure, by clamping the return fuel line to the tank i had no problem starting,
so replaced the fuel pressure regulator,
now it works fine.