Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.5crd 02 white smoke

Old 01-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Default 2.5crd 02 white smoke

grand voyager 02 2.5 crd with 143k
loads of white smoke on 1st start.no matter what temp outside
replaced glow plugs and relay switch last year but really hard to start when temp drops below 0 .could this be water in fuel.never had ffuel filter change in 2 years as i was told it never had one,is this true ? anyone got any ideas please
David

Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 AM

Have you drained the fuel filter lately? This is a 10 min job. You need a glas jar. Get under the car and look for the fuel filter assembly at the back. Turn the small round valve and see what comes out, and more importantlty if this solves your white smoke problem. If the water level is to high a warning light on your dash will should go on.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 AM

fuel filter should be drained only if the filter is new and you accidentaly end up with water in your tank during driving (warning light).
in all other cases, it is far better to get a new filter, especially when they are reallly cheap.

white smoke means two things.
1. either you are not getting enough fuel (clogged filter, parafine blokage due to low temperatures)
2. or your glow plugs are not working.

for first, all you can do is change fuel filter and use some sort of winter additive in your fuel. additive should be mixed with fuel BEFORE temperature drops below zero.

for second, you must check operation of glow plugs. even if the yellow ligh on the dash turns on, that does not mean that the plugs are heating the air. and if they don't, the engine will start harder and work irratically until it warms up.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

thanx lads,
ok ive changed fuel filter and ive checked glow plugs and relay and all is working fine. now im thinking it could be blocked injector,it seems starved of fuel on start no matter what temp outside is. can a novice like myself take out and clean the injectors and whats involved ?
any pointers would be gratefully recd
Dave

Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 AM

how did you check glow plugs?
how do you know that they are heating as they should be?

couse, if you are still getting white smoke on first start, you don't have enough temperature inside the cilinder.

so, either you have to measure the flow of current that plugs are pulling (should be about 20 amps), or you should measure each plug with ohmmeter after taking it out of the engine. resistance for each plug should be very low, around 5 ohms. if its any higher than that, you have defective plug.

if that doesnt help, you should test the engine compression. low compression (worn cylinders or piston rings, bad valves) couse low temperature inside the engine and thus starting problems when it's cold.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 PM

I had white smoke from my Olds diesel. It was a blown head gasket. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:38 PM

doesn't that come with low coolant?
becouse, that white smoke has to come from somewhere. and if it's from a blown gasket, that's the coolant leaking into the cylinders.

if the coolant level is OK, than it's not the gasket.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 AM

I've got the exact same problem. When it eventually starts theres the white smoke. This smoke stinks of unused diesel rather than just exhaust fumes.
I've changed the 3 easy to reach glowplugs and they are getting voltage (never checked for current though) as were the old ones.
Looking towards the windscreen, number 3 injector (left to right) has signs of a leaking injector (black buildup). I've had these out in a Fiesta before and changed the seals. These look easier to do.
I've now put an additive in to "decoke" everything.
I'll throw a filter into it as well.
Just to add, after it's started the once, you could leave it all day and it'll start no problem. It's just the initial first thing in the morning. I dont think it's only when it's cold, I just think it's more noticeable when its cold.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 AM

hi again.well ! just had electrics profesionally looked at and they are good,and then reputable local mechanic i know has had it overnight,his view is only firing on 3 cyls on 1st start up ,low compresssion on 1 cyl therefore rings shot !!!!!
what do you guys reckon on this ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.5crd 02 white smoke