Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.8 CRD Auto engine cut out on kick down

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Default 2.8 CRD Auto engine cut out on kick down

Hi,

I have just been driving and went to put my foot down but not that hard, and the engine cut out? So I pulled over and re started straight away not even a stutter, started to drive then put my foot down again and it did it again??

am i doing something wrong or any ideas please, only had the car a week so am very new to this??

thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 AM

Hi guys,

Does no one have any ideas on this problem? I'm off on holiday in a few weeks and don't want it happening on the journey???

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 AM
tfb

Going on past experience and the experience of others on the forum I'd suggest that it's air getting into the fuel system via the fuel filters heater.

The best way to confirm this is to splice a section of clear 8mm plastic pipe into the fuel line from the filter to the injection pump and look for air bubbles. If you dont fancy cutting the fuel lines then try replacing the fuel filter heater, but I'm not a big fan of replacing parts without confirming that they are faulty first.

Regards

Richard

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 AM

Yeah I'm not that confident to do that unfortunately, would this be the main cause you feel??? Is the fule filter heater easy to replace?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM
tfb

The fuel filter assembly is located at the front on the engine and accessed from underneath.

Jack the car up and support it on proper stands, remove the fibre under tray. Look up at the front of the engine and you will see the bottom of the fuel filter and water trap. Take the electrical connection off of the water trap and unscrew the fuel filter - it might be a bit of a bugger to unscrew though. Once the filter is off and you now have diesel dripping down your arms use a allen key to unscrew the stud in the centre of the heater element and remove the electrical connections from it. The element should just come off. Fit a new fuel filter as well and pump the little pad on top of the filter head to prime the new filter with diesel

Found an image of the assembly on ebay, not a great picture but it gives you and idea of what you are looking at - I wouldn't recommend buying a 2nd hand one though

Chrysler Voyager 2.8 CRD diesel fuel filter head pump | eBay

The heater element is the black plastic bit directly above the silver fuel filter

Regards
Richard

Last edited by tfb; 02-10-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Default Cutting out..

Hi S6Voyager,
Now here's a little answer here but it was in relation to a differant car that I don't have the info on at moment.
It relates to the Foot Down info, cutting out.
The fault I'm referring to involves the foot peddle actuator, electronic gizmo that tells ECU to speed up engine. If this goes kaput, or acts up, Engine shuts down.
Well you don't want car to go mad do you so this cuts it out.
Goggs..

Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi thanks for the replies I managed to speak to a chrysler mercanic who said that's its typical on these models that its the fule filter letting in air, so going to start there and see what happens, will keep you informed.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Hi guys,

Ok so the car vistited the chrysler garage this morning, they think its not the fuel pump as mine is located at the back of the car near the tank not in the engine bay one which is a commons casue, they are not 100% sure without doing a full check which would cost me a fortune!

but why they were checking they have very kindly made me aware i have oil coming from the engine/gearboc conection!!! great!

im ion talks with the dealer i bought it from ive only had the car 3 weeks!

Any other ideas please?????

Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Hi, I have exactly the same issue with a 2005 2.8 Grand Voyager CRD. The engine cuts out at 2500rpm as you have described. I have recently just had the gearbox changed also and thought that this was some sort of "limp mode" or ECU fault. I googled this fault and found this We have a 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD (stow and go). - JustAnswer where the owner rectified the fault after clearing a fuel blockage. This seems to be consistent what others are saying here.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Hi thanks for your reply, how would I go about clearing a blockage? Or des a Gararge need to do it?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2.8 CRD Auto engine cut out on kick down