Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 T&C Rough Idle possible o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Default 2000 T&C Rough Idle possible o2 sensor?

I have a 2000 T&C with a rough idle, I have replaced spark plugs, twice, with new wires and replaced the PCV and EGR valves. There are no error codes or check engine lights.

I changed spark plugs twice because I bought some bosch platinum +2 at Walmart and they made the car worse, so i changed out with some from napa and that cleared the backfires that started because of the new plugs.

Using an ODB II scanner and the Torque ODBII app I am seeing some weird readings on the o2 sensors. The first sensor and bank reads a changing wave form on the top of the screen while the bottom shows a near perfect sine wave. There are four sensors for each bank for a total of eight readings but the rest of the banks show a flat wave form for the top graph for the seven sensors after bank 1 sensor 1.

Is the tool reading correctly or is one of the o2 sensors malfunctioning?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Default Pics of waves

I have some screenshots of the three types of waveforms I am seeing:

Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

here read this then what Plugs did u install teh second time?

Oxygen Sensor: Description and Operation
HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR (O2S SENSOR) - PCM INPUT
The upstream O2S is located in the exhaust manifold and provides an input voltage to the PCM.
The downstream heated oxygen sensor threads into the outlet pipe at the rear of the catalytic convertor.
As vehicles accumulate mileage, the catalytic convertor deteriorates. The deterioration results in a less efficient catalyst. To monitor catalytic
convertor deterioration, the fuel injection system uses two heated oxygen sensors. One sensor upstream of the catalytic convertor, one
downstream of the convertor. The PCM compares the reading from the sensors to calculate the catalytic convertor oxygen storage capacity and
converter efficiency. Also, the PCM uses the upstream heated oxygen sensor input when adjusting injector pulse width.
When the catalytic converter efficiency drops below emission standards, the PCM stores a diagnostic trouble code and illuminates the
malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
The automatic shutdown relay supplies battery voltage to both the upstream and downstream heated oxygen sensors. The oxygen sensors are
equipped with a heating element. The heating elements reduce the time required for the sensors to reach operating temperature.
Oxygen Sensor 1/1 Upstream
The input from the upstream heated oxygen sensor tells the PCM the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. Based on this input, the PCM fine tunes
the air-fuel ratio by adjusting injector pulse width.
The sensor input switches from 0 to 1 volt, depending upon the oxygen content of the exhaust gas in the exhaust manifold. When a large
amount of oxygen is present (caused by a lean air-fuel mixture), the sensor produces voltage as low as 0.1 volt. When there is a lesser amount of
oxygen present (rich air-fuel mixture) the sensor produces a voltage as high as 1.0 volt. By monitoring the oxygen content and converting it to
electrical voltage, the sensor acts as a rich-lean switch.
The heating element in the sensor provides heat to the sensor ceramic element-Heating the sensor allows the system to enter into closed loop
operation sooner. Also, it allows the system to remain in closed loop operation during periods of extended idle.
In Closed Loop, the PCM adjusts injector pulse width based on the upstream heated oxygen sensor input along with other inputs. In Open Loop,
the PCM adjusts injector pulse width based on preprogrammed (fixed) values and inputs from other sensors. Oxygen Sensor 1/2 Downstream
The downstream heated oxygen sensor input is used to detect catalytic convertor deterioration. As the convertor deteriorates, the input from the
downstream sensor begins to match the upstream sensor input except for a slight time delay. By comparing the downstream heated oxygen
sensor input to the input from the upstream sensor, the PCM calculates catalytic convertor efficiency

Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Champion double platinum the second time, these were recommended by the auto parts store and others.