Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 2.5 CRD Grand Voyager Water Pump ?? Water into Oil !

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Default 2001 2.5 CRD Grand Voyager Water Pump ?? Water into Oil !

Hi,

I have a 2001 2.5CRD Grand Voyager. Yesterday the engine stalled at 70mph and failed to restart on the hard shoulder. After recovery home and inspection with various attempts to restart, a clunking noise has sounded and all of the water has gone into the oil sump with no leak under the car whatsoever.

When trying to restart, it did only for a second or so turn over but stopped again with a grinding noise. now i just get a starter/relay clicking noise.

Does it sound like the water pump has broken up inside and locked the engine and also letting the water into the oil filling the sump ??

Difficult job... cambelt off etc etc.????

Any advice (other than a new engine !) gratefully received.

Cheers
Dave
Maidstone UK

Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM

The water pump is diffficult to access.......behind the engine and driven by the Cam belt. Need to remove the wiper module to get (limited) access. Also you might as well replace the cambelt while you're at it. Water pump is £170 and belt kit is £140. Tensioner is about £80 (parts only)

If you suspect it has broken up and seized I wouldn't crank the engine. That could strip the belt teeth and cause all sorts of damage.

However I'm not sure that was your initial problem. Can't think how the water pump failing would cause your coolant to end up in the sump. I'd look at possible head gasket failure or maybe an oil cooler problem. Or if you've been really unlucky, you could have suffered a more major mechanical failure in the engine that has caused a water gallery to be pierced.

Some of the Voyager techs on here might have some better ideas than me.

BTW What's the mileage on it?

Last edited by booke23; 09-21-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by booke23
The water pump is diffficult to access.......behind the engine and driven by the Cam belt. Need to remove the wiper module to get (limited) access. Also you might as well replace the cambelt while you're at it. Water pump is £170 and belt kit is £140. Tensioner is about £80 (parts only)

If you suspect it has broken up and seized I wouldn't crank the engine. That could strip the belt teeth and cause all sorts of damage.

However I'm not sure that was your initial problem. Can't think how the water pump failing would cause your coolant to end up in the sump. I'd look at possible head gasket failure or maybe an oil cooler problem. Or if you've been really unlucky, you could have suffered a more major mechanical failure in the engine that has caused a water gallery to be pierced.

Some of the Voyager techs on here might have some better ideas than me.

BTW What's the mileage on it?
Thanks for the info. The car has done 108k. The timing belt alone was replaced at 60k. I have since stripped it down somewhat including removing the cambelt etc. I dont think the waterpump is a problem now. The belt is still in good condition and the pump seems to run free turning by hand. With the belt attached I could only turn over the engine by hand using the crank pulley but only so far, suspected cam rocker break ? Cams only turn so far too. Rocker cover off next ! Slight play in the cam belt pulleys. Tensioner ok. Not sure about water staight into oil - head gasket failure ?

Regards
Dave

Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM

I also understand from other threads, the vavles DON'T get bent with a belt failure ??

Can anyone else confirm this.

cheers

Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM

That's true. Cam belt failure will only break the rockers.

Unfortunatly the injectors have to come out to get the one peice rocker cover/manifold off. They are known to be difficult to remove.

Keep us posted!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Does anyone have a removal tool for the 2.5 CRD stubborn diesel injectors for sale or rent ??
I am based in Maistone

Cheers

Dave

Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by booke23
That's true. Cam belt failure will only break the rockers.

Unfortunatly the injectors have to come out to get the one peice rocker cover/manifold off. They are known to be difficult to remove.

Keep us posted!
Oil cooler has been bypassed by disconnecting both pipes on it and adding seperate pipe to complete the circuit. When added to the expansion tank, the water still pours straight out of oil sump. I take its gonna be a head off job and hope its just the head gasket now. Guess water pump would not affect it at all - just would be an external leak. Otherwise new engine ??? £1500+ been quoted (not fitted) !!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Nightmare!

Fingers crossed it is the gasket. Is £1500 for a recon engine, or brand new?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 AM

£1500 for a second hand only. Most breakers quoting £1250 plus vat and delivery and still fit myself. Still looking for a tool to remove the istubborn njectors though to investigate further for rockers/head gasket failure. Heard LDV (channel commercials) in kent supply one for £200+ vat otherwise local garage said they could pull them out with a hydraulic press/puller

Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by dmbeale
£1500 for a second hand only. Most breakers quoting £1250 plus vat and delivery and still fit myself. Still looking for a tool to remove the istubborn njectors though to investigate further for rockers/head gasket failure. Heard LDV (channel commercials) in kent supply one for £200+ vat otherwise local garage said they could pull them out with a hydraulic press/puller
I have the puller as my own belt snapped and it was the only way I could get them out.
Can confirm as I had been told on here that 8 rockers were damaged.
I'd be willing to rent the tool out, message me if your interested.

Quick Reply: 2001 2.5 CRD Grand Voyager Water Pump ?? Water into Oil !