Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 3.3 LXI accelerates like golf cart, now in limp

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Question 2001 3.3 LXI accelerates like golf cart, now in limp

I purchased a 2001 T&C 3.3 LXI with 94000 miles a couple of weeks ago. Had no issues on test drive and no codes. Passed smog next day. I thought I had got a keeper. Next day i notice A/C wont turn off, replaced temp control unit and re calibrated AC System. The next day I notice every time I press the gas pedal to accelerate from a stop it chugs for a couple seconds then, at first, evened out. like the timing isn't right or its missing hard or a couple cylinders are bad. It feels and sound like a golf cart that goes when you press the pedal. Every time from a stop, unless I softly and slowly press the accelerator in which case it seems OK. The next day I notice the idle is stammering, but only when in gear while stopped. In "Park" it idles smooth. On the first day i noticed it, after slowly and softly accelerating from a stop light, I goosed (Stepped on) the accelerator hard at about 20 MPH and it chugged and backfired. It kept accelerating, but engine was noticeably Missing. Still no codes. Took to Local 3 guys parts and service joint next day and changed plugs, wires, engine oil, air filter, fuel filter and had a intake body carbon removal thing done. In Park it idled great, I couldn't even hear it was on but had the same "from stop" issue. Purchase Haynes manual and OBD2 reader with some extras (which didn't work on my year van). Still, NO CODES!?! since then it had gotten a little worse every time it was driven until yesterday when the :Check engine: light came on and it went into "Limp Mode". I have two codes, P1684(?) battery disconnected in last 100 starts or something and P0700 a generic tranny code. It does not feel anything like a tranny problem. No slippage. It feels timing or vacuum related. As i am investigating, I see hints, other than the first code, that the (insert bad word here) gentleman who sold it to me had recently been checking the same things i am now checking and knew something was bad wrong with it. But I digress and now need the help of kind strangers. Anyone have an idea?