Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2001 Town & Country Blower Motor resistor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Default RE: 2001 Town & Country Blower Motor resistor

the speeds dont change, when I shut off the power it blows on high at my feet , I cant seem to change anything

Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

yeah dude u have a blower motor resistor module prob it has internal short in it. I have replaced many of them from that issue thay wont shut off the blower motor untill u take the key out even with the atc system off. They are powerd up all the time and the atc head will send the ground signal to the module and u get the speed requested. Change the module and u will be golden.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 AM

I'm having the same problem, can someone show me where the resistor is located at?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM

You should find it directly behind the glove box. Please note that if you have the automatic climate control tri-zone a/con, it will be a power module (variable voltage) rather than a resistor pack. I recently replaced mine and it took only a few minutes. Here are some notes on the item if that’s what you have fitted and procedure for change. I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2003 model here in Australia and it cost me $139 for the part. Part No. is #5179985AA for the power module if you have the climate control van.

POWER MODULE DESCRIPTION
A blower power module is used on this model when it is equipped with the optional Automatic TemperatureControl (ATC) (Fig. 22). Models equipped with the standard manual heater-A/C control use a blower motor resistor, instead of the blower power module.

The blower power module is installed in a mounting hole in the evaporator housing, directly behind the glove box opening of the instrument panel. The module consists of a molded plastic mounting plate with two integral connector receptacles. Concealed behind the mounting plate within the evaporator housing is the power module electronic circuitry and a large finned, heat sink. The module mounting plate is secured with two screws to the evaporator housing and is accessed for service by rolling down the glovebox from the instrument panel. The power module heat sink will get hot when in use. Do not touch the heat sink if the blower motor has been running. The blower power module cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

OPERATION
The blower power module is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness.
A second connector receptacle receives the pigtail wire connector from the blower motor. The blower power module allows the microprocessor-based Automatic
Temperature Control (ATC) heater-A/C control module to calculate and provide infinitely variable blower motor speeds based upon either manual blower switch input or the ATC programming using a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) circuit strategy. The
PWM voltage is applied to a comparator circuit which compares the PWM signal voltage to the blower motor feedback voltage. The resulting output drives the power module circuitry, which adjusts the voltage output received from the blower motor relay to change or maintain the desired blower speed. The blower power module is diagnosed using a DRBIIIt scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(2) Open the glove box.
(3) Flex both sides of the glove box bin inward near the top far enough for the rubber glove box stop bumpers to clear the sides of the glove box opening, then roll the glove box downward.
(4) Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the power module from the module connector receptacle.
(5) Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the blower motor pigtail wire connector from the power module connector receptacle.
(6) Remove the two screws that secure the power module to the evaporator housing.
(7) Remove the power module from the evaporator housing.

INSTALLATION
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIR-BAGS,DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

(1) Position the power module into the evaporator housing.
(2) Install and tighten the two screws that secure the power module to the evaporator housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N•m (18 in. lbs.).
(3) Reconnect the blower motor pigtail wire connector to the power module connector receptacle.
(4) Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the power module to the module connector receptacle.
(5) Flex both sides of the glove box bin inward near the top far enough for the rubber glove box stop bumpers to clear the sides of the glove box opening, then roll the glove box upward.
(6) Close and latch the glove box.
(7) Reconnect the battery negative cable.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by sharlo
[FONT=Arial]Please note that if you have the automatic climate control tri-zone a/con, it will be a power module (variable voltage) rather than a resistor pack.
For future reference, this is important. Get the correct replacement for your application.

Thanks for taking the time to post this sharlo

Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 PM

I have the same problem, only now the fan doesn't run at all. Did I burn out the fan motor? I couldn't find any blown fuses.

BTW, it is a 03 T&C Limited AWD with climate control.

Last edited by Wickman; 07-17-2009 at 07:01 PM.