Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2001 Town and Country Electrical shut down while driving, not alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Default 2001 Town and Country Electrical shut down while driving, not alternator

Shortly after leaving home, the van just shut down. The lights didnt dim or go off, the vehicle just shut down electrically, naturally the motor shut down too. I tried to restart it while in nuetral and still moving, the key turn did not engage the starter. When you turn the key, NOTHING. Best I can remember, turning the starter did not dim the lights that were on.

I had a shadetree mechanic check some things: Starter did work when he put power directly to it. He checked fuses and relays, all worked.

It was never on before, but now when I turn the key, the little red ball warning light above the dash board is on. I believe this is the transponder
warning light. But someone from Chrysler said if this was a problem, the car would turn over, just not start. And its not turning over at all when you turn the key, and the power is fine....lights are bright, windows go up and down, etc.

I have been told it might be a sensor or a ground problem.

Other info: I had a new alternator put on 6 weeks ago, no problems there. I do not know if it is related, but lately, something has happened 4 to 5 times over the last week: It has only happened during rpm max at shifting. A split second electrical power drop while driving. The lights would dim, the blower would hesitate and the power converter (running my laptop) would hesitate for a split second, then all would resume and be fine. I tick noise, not coming from the engine would accompany this brief power blink. the noise souned as if was coming from close to the dash, perhaps as far away as the fuse box just on the other side of the fire wall.

What things can I check before having it towed and looked at?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

take it to a dealer dont take it any where else the red dot is a SKIM issue and only a dealer can A check thins and B fix it.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 AM

Further info form author of thread: Ran the codes tonight, it was po725, speed control sensor. We replaced it, the code went off (no longer showing code), but still wont crank. Is there any way that this sensor, shut the van down while driving, and kicked in the anti theft system and that is what is keep a full key turn to engage starter. Still, when you turn the key, nothing. Not in nuetral, or park. The little red dot warning light is on above the dash.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

nope not the same visit the dealer

Old 07-25-2010, 12:57 AM

Really not sure what "nope not the same visit the dealer means". I didnt ask any question that matches the answer: "nope, not the same". I get what visit the dealer means, means lots of cash....which is why I am posting on here, to try to save some before going to the dealer. Lock smiths can re program skims as well for about half the price.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

then take it to a lock smith when he has locked the car up from not turning it over any more then visit the dealer and once again get the issue corrected and all U have done thus far is wasted your time and spent more then doing as I had asked for you to do in the first place.

"Further info form author of thread: Ran the codes tonight, it was po725, speed control sensor. We replaced it, the code went off (no longer showing code), but still wont crank. Is there any way that this sensor, shut the van down while driving, and kicked in the anti theft system and that is what is keep a full key turn to engage starter. Still, when you turn the key, nothing. Not in nuetral, or park. The little red dot warning light is on above the das?

this has nothing to do with the SKIM issue the no start this is why I posted nope not the same visit the dealer

Old 07-26-2010, 06:59 AM

I do not think that checking things out is a waste of time. Thats what has occured so far. After reading countless articles / blogs, it was possible for the fix to be a minor one, a sensor, a ground etc. We looked through all of that and found nothing, so now its on to the next step.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

It was never on before, but now when I turn the key, the little red ball warning light above the dash board is on.

this was the major clue to what the issue was this i not a sensor issue or ground issue this is a propitiatory system of Chrysler it takes place of any alarm that no one pays any attention to any more any way. This system will shut down the car if the keys are wrong and not programed or in this case a bad skim module which tells the PCM its ok to start up.

But someone from Chrysler said if this was a problem, the car would turn over, just not start

wrong info if the skim system is bad U would be able to start it up run for 2 seconds then die and on the 3rd time it wont do anything for over an hour its locked up. Is this what U have experienced?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Default More info form thread author

No, that is not what I experienced. It died electrically (the lights didnt die) while I was driving it, I immediately put it in nuetral and tried to start it while still moving.............NOTHING, the key wouldnt engage the starter, just silence. Same since. We disconnected the battery, checked fuses and relays, the starter turns if you apply power directly to it, but the engine still does not fire (lack of fuel and charge from what ever the problem is). A code run showed po725, so we replaced that sensor (egine speed sensor). The tranny was replaced 2 months ago, I have read several posts elsewhere on the web from people that had trannies replaced and experienced similar problems soon after. I realize the dealer is the only real option, I simply dont have the money for an expensive fix. Thats why I have been trying to avoid it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Default ps....

The skim light was never on before (obviously), now thats its on, i do not know if its on because of another problem and it will go off once that problem is fixed, or if it is the problem.

Quick Reply: 2001 Town and Country Electrical shut down while driving, not alternator