Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 T&C 3.3 " Upper radiator hose has no pressure or coolant flowing"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Question 2002 T&C 3.3 " Upper radiator hose has no pressure or coolant flowing"

Can someone please give me advice?

I can't afford to take it to a mechanic and I can't find one with integrity. Especially with the bad economy we have.

My minivan has 185,000 miles and I'm having problems with the cooling system.

I replaced the water pump and thermostat.

I have no pressure in the upper radiator hose and the radiator cap and antifreeze remains cold after driving the car for hours.

The temperature gauge remains one notch below the half mark.

I am getting heat in the car.

When I removed the thermostat housing, there was no antifreeze in the block or upper radiator hose.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

U have a leak some where u need to have it pressure tested

Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by g4j88

I can't afford to take it to a mechanic and I can't find one with integrity.
That's ridiculous.

So you're saying the MAJORITY of mechanics are underhanded?

Funny how every one thinks the opposite.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 PM

I can't afford to take it to a mechanic and I can't find one with integrity.
I can't afford to take it to a mechanic OR I can't find one with integrity.

So if you found an Honest one...your financial issues would be Resolved?????

The economy is bad for everyone...

What No-one seems to understand, is Mechanics are Just like the doctor, or the lawyer, or the Butcher...THIS IS OUR LIVING......We need to eat too...We dont do this for fun, we do it to fed our families, and pay the bills, just like you do at YOUR job....

Look HArder......We are out there.....

On a lighter note................I agree with ChryslerTech....You are low on coolant, and you need an answer as to why..... It could be leaking onto the ground, or it could be leaking internally, but it doesnt just "UP AND DISSAPPEAR: all by itself...

Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
I can't afford to take it to a mechanic OR I can't find one with integrity.

So if you found an Honest one...your financial issues would be Resolved?????

The economy is bad for everyone...
I was pointing out that statement made no sense. I realize the economy is bad for everyone, I'm right in there with ya'll with my family of 5 and part time job.

I was taking YOUR side.. the mechanic's side.

If you can't afford a mechanic, then you can't afford a mechanic. Why would integrity matter if you're not going to look for one in the first place?

He's the one that made it sound like he would go to a mechanic if he could find one with integrity. He's the one that put the word OR in the sentence.

Last edited by rastoma; 02-20-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by g4j88

I replaced the water pump and thermostat.

I have no pressure in the upper radiator hose and the radiator cap and antifreeze remains cold after driving the car for hours.

The temperature gauge remains one notch below the half mark.

I am getting heat in the car.

When I removed the thermostat housing, there was no antifreeze in the block or upper radiator hose.

I didn't mean to jump on you..... I work in the service industry (not automobile of course) and I know that in ALL areas of service, that you don't have to look HARD to find the good ones of anything. People in the service industry rely on repeat customers and referrals so they are not going to take advantage of people the majority of the time. There are bad 'ones' in every industry, but those are the MINORITY.

Anyway, I had the exact same scenario as you.

Except I first had a leaking water pump on my 03 T&C. I had it replaced and I noticed my upper hose still didn't have pressure. With the cap off, I could never really see movement of the coolant. And I had to put more coolant in periodically. Not very often, but enough that I would need to check it every few days to be sure. Even when the coolant level got a gallon or more low, my temp gauge would not go higher than half way.

I finally found it. Just simply a hole in the radiator. But the water didn't spew out... the leak was so slow and small it just followed along the fins of the radiator and I never saw it actually drip to the ground. There were no tell-tell signs such as water vaporizing or a coolant smell. I'm still amazed at how there was no pressure at all on the hose with such a tiny leak.

New radiator on and as soon as the engine warmed up I had pressure on the upper hose finally. With the old radiator off and in good light I could see the discoloration of where the coolant was coming out. It was on the INSIDE of the radiator too which was more odd as it wasn't caused by something hitting it from driving down the road.

Just look very carefully with a flash light all over the radiator.

And hopefully you don't have a coolant smell inside the van? If so that would be the heater core but you should be able to smell that most of the time.

Last edited by rastoma; 02-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 AM

I was taking YOUR side.. the mechanic's side.
I understood that...And either way I dont get "Rattled" easily..It comes with the territory.
I hear all of the stories, from single mom to unemployed to elderly female to mechanics are crooks, to I would do it myself if I just had the time....The list goes on and on.
The one thing in common with all of the stories, is they dont change the fact that your car is BROKEN.

"Jabbar The cavemen" knows how to build huts...and he has all the necessary hut building Tools...He charges 2 bearskins to build you a Hut..You either give him the skins...or you SLEEP OUTDOORS. Its that simple.

Rastoma..its funny that you mention referrals..... in the off topic section, read my recent thread "HAVE A HEART"
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...6547#post46547

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-20-2011 at 07:03 AM.