Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2003 Voyager 2.5 CRD UK spec electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Default 2003 Voyager 2.5 CRD UK spec electrical issues

Hi all, I've searched for a while but can't find a thread on this already, sorry if I've missed it.

My 2003 Voyager is having some strange issues.
The window wipers, electric windows, window cleaning fluid dispenser, side lights and radio/CD won't work.
Strangely if you put on the rear wiper the the radio and window cleaner dispenser will the work.
I've checked and swapped over fuses and relays, taken out the radio, disconnected rear wiper motor and also front motors from the circuit.

Anywhere else I should be focusing pn , short of tracing all wires?

Many thanks.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 PM

Sounds like a poor earth connection behind the dash somewhere. Not very specific I know but all you can do is clean/tighten any earth connection you can find.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:02 AM

Thanks Oxford will have a look at that. Just got it back from an (expensive) MOT a few days ago as well.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 AM

Your comment "strange issues" is the clue; with all microprocessor-controlled vehicles, especially this one, you should force a hard-reset of all the micros by simply disconnecting the battery -ve for a few minutes (or have a cup of tea in the interim). This cost nothing, and no effort. There is a strong chance this procedure will cure the problem.
This type of problem happens with older sulphated batteries whose internal resistance rises considerably, allowing all sorts of hash and glitches on the 12volt rail to the microprocessor boards, causing stored data malfunctions. A sulphated battery will often still start the engine, even a diesel, but still cause processing problems. This is quite a complex issue.
I have posted some other causes and explanations to battery problems elewhere on this website. No doubt a search will find them. Fingers crossed for you...

Leedsman.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM

Thanks Leedsman.

Tried the battery reset a few times first off but no joy.

Cheers,

Old 05-25-2014, 04:06 PM

Cheers again Leedsman- been looking through some of your older posts and you've got some good stuff. My mechanic mate is going to have a look at it tomorrow so will update and pass on the advice.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 PM

Sorry for the delay. Car went to my mechanic friend who was stumped and got in an electrical specalist he knows. New BCM first sorted some issues but took the ICM module to fix all (got identically coded 2nd hand units from eBay),everything works only the milage has gone up. £100 for the parts and £150 for the work. Also got the seized rear wiper replace at the same time- reckons this could have caused some of the original issue and was still powering up but not working and hadnt been put off.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM

hi dlipowski

Just a question did you have to get the bcm programmed to your car or was it just a swap plug and play ?

regards
pete.........

Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 AM

Hi Pete, I didn't get it programmed- just went straight in- I was fortunate that I was able to get one with the same code as mine so all the electrics still work. When I spoke to the dealer they said they don't reprogram but get new ones blank and flash the software onto it. ( may just have been trying to sell me a new one!) They reckon an hours labour charge to flash, plus 2 hours to remove and replace just the bcm..