Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 voyager engine/gearbox rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 AM

As mentioned before, this should be the release bearing worn. Therefore you will need a whole new clutch, other solutions wouldn't make sense because it's some work to work your way through to this point.
Recently had this on our Peugeot 206 CC. There was also a very loud noise when driving, i though it'd be over with that car.
Just as you, I made a video when standing and pressing / releasing the clutch.

The car had 110.000 kilometers on it. After replacing the clutch, the sound was gone.
The mechanic said "When removing the release bearing it fell towards me in parts." So it was just worn out very much - and that's exactly how it sounded like.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Hi. Did you got sorted this problem yet?? What caused that noise ??

Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 AM

haven't got around to it just yet mate

Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Sounds like you have a clutch/release bearing issue. If it was whining, crunching or jumping out of gear it would be gearbox issue. As too first motion shaft bearing like the Renault diesels where they are built too tight they start by whining then growling then go bang.
Gearbox oil does silence noises inside but if it gets low, not lubing some gears at all, the gears can get very hot to point of melting.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM

Can anyone tell me size of the front Hub Nut. its big but how big. 32? 34? I got my new Clutch release bearing and i want start to take gearbox off in few days. But dont know what size socket i need to disconnect drive shaft. I hope i get my rattle sorted with new bearing. Thanks

Old 07-07-2015, 04:36 AM

small update..Release bearing wasnt issue in my case. Looks like clutch disk-plate it self is the problem. These springs on disk seems to be littlebit loose(not tense anymore). i didnt take of all clutch because didnt have new one but. But i was able to move that center hole on disk where gearbox shaft goes in.So box will come of soon again. And thats ok,,second time will be very easy,,now i know what comes off first to get good access. And while my hub nut was loose i found movement on my wheel bearing aswell. this will be replaced tomorrow..delivery in proccess already.
So owning Voyager you always find something to do

Old 07-07-2015, 03:43 PM

Good follow up Imtattoo, how about some pictures. You will of course need a clutch plate centring tool so gearbox shaft goes through it into flywheel bearing.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 AM

next time i take box off to replace all clutch i will take pictures . Probably it happens soon. But today i will replace driver side front wheel bearing and do wheel tracking(using cord method) .

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 AM
kkc

Sounds like a good time to replace the crankshaft oil seal as well. Mine is leaking a little bit and yes, the clutch plate has been making that sound for a couple of years now.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:40 AM
kkc

Hello imtattoo80, BTW, if you have any tips, recommendations on the clutch plate change, please post. I imagine that the hydraulic fork is dry as anything, so some good sticky waterproof lithium type grease might be an idea. I'll probably do this next year. While you are at it, can you check to see if you have easy access to the turbo... do you think it could be removed with the gearbox down and out? I'd like to replace the bearings on my turbo (also leaking small amount of oil into the fresh air and exhaust air sides of turbo). I have a sneaky suspicion that the variable bypass valve is rattling a bit as well.

Like someone said, with a Voyager ... always work to be done...!

Thanks. kkc.