Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2005 grand voyager cenral locking problem

Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Default 2005 grand voyager cenral locking problem

i have an issue with the central locking on my 2005 uk spec grand voyager

every now and then the central locking packs up after reading on the internet if i remove the IOD fuse for a minute and replace then the central locking works fine again and can do for weeks and then will just stop

is there a fix for this

Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 AM

Try running it with a different but good battery.

Leedsman.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 AM

replaced the battery to a brand new one and all was good for a week and now the problem has come back ... any more ideas its doing my head having to remove the IOD fuse to sort this

Old 03-17-2015, 05:53 AM

Did you ever fix this issue, as I have the same

Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 AM

no still havnt sorted it i have been told there is an update for the BCM but only Chrysler can do it and my local dealer here in the uk has told me that there new diagnostic equipment may not do it but want me to pay £££ to plug machine in just to try ..

this sounds like a common problem with glitches in the software in the BCM as my rear wiper doesn't work either and this is down to the BCM too you would think Chrysler would sort this as they must no there is an issue as they brought out an update to fix the problem

Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 AM

You could try an old mod. of mine, but no guarantees here. This mod. can be found here by trawling the old stuff. You may have glitches coming from the alternator onto the 12volt line from the battery, but the only way to be sure would be to check the "hash" as it's called with an oscilloscope on +12v. The answer, IF this be the cause is to wire an enormous capacitor across the battery and see. "Enormous" in capacitance is meant here, not enormous in size. You need about 200,000 microfarads or more at 16volt working, electrolytic type. A number of high-value capacitors wired together in parallel would be appropriate here. Fiddly I know, but the only alternative would be to change the alternator ON SPEC. and that's £400 or so.
You could get one of those audio one-farad capacitors (or borrow one) as used by the boom-boom boys, but be careful about connecting it across the battery because they act like a short-circuit until charged. You need to charge it first through a an old headlamp bulb as a current limiter. You really need help locally by someone au-fey with these capacitors. Then run the vehicle for a bit to see if it works. As said, no guarantees. These vehicles can have strange peculiarities indeed, you might find the root cause of the problem is the last thing you expected. I thought my autobox was faulty, until I discovered the problem was caused by me resting my foot ever so lightly on the brake pedal without realizing. Remove foot, remove problem.

Leedsman.
By the way, clean all the contacts for possible corrosion on BCM.
BTW #2: Ensure ALL the heavy current connexions in the battery/starter circuit are good and tight and free from corrosion -- this includes the engine groundstrap. The starter motor draws such a heavy current it can easily put glitches on the 12volt line during cranking when the 12volt line is dragged down to 9volt or so. The BCM and other micro-boards are electrically vulnerable at this lower voltage. Try and see if there seems to be a connexion between the number of starts you give it, and the problem happening.

Last edited by Leedsman; 03-17-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: By the way.