Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Grand Voyager engine choking and cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Default 2005 Grand Voyager engine choking and cutting off

I have this vehicle for almost an year now and shortly after I bought it it started having this problem of choking and cutting off at random. The mechanic I work with was unable to diagnose anything in fact he was unable to reproduce the problem whenever I left the car with him. Then I took it to the Chrysler service center and luckily was able to reproduce the problem in presence of their technician. They took their sweet time and ended up replacing EGR valve and solenoid. This fixed the problem for a while but now again the same thing has started happening again and it's so bad that I'm unable to drive it for few minutes without the car shutting off. I will take it to the service center again but I also wanted to share it here and see if anyone has any idea.

Also below are two videos I made of this happening today.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:07 AM

Here is some more information about the vehicle.

It's a 3.3 V6 LE. Location is Dubai UAE.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 PM

Stalling with your foot off the gas coming to a stop or entering a highway off ramp? Look towards the Idle Air Control (IAC)system. Could also be another EGR valve or vacuum leak.

Stalling while cruising around town or on a highway? Fuel pump, crank or cam position sensor (very common), failing ignition coil, MAP sensor, etc.

By the way. If you are driving and videoing at the same time stop before you kill someone.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 AM

It was an empty road and I was driving slow and I did it just to show to the mechanics as they want to see it happening in order to diagnose it.

Anyway at present it happens mostly when I apply break to stop or slow down the vehicle. But since last few days it is also happening when my foot is still on the accelerator. It either chokes for few seconds and comes back or completely cuts off.